Friday, October 27, 2006

Reminders

There's a two-and-a-half month old baby squalling down the hall from my office right now. Her mother works in an office near mine and is having childcare issues so her daughter is here with her today.

The sound of a small baby crying makes my insides start swirling in a confusing mess of emotions. Since I had Bubba, and with the passage of time, the sound is no longer like an ice cream scooper eviscerating my guts the way it was during my time between Hope's death and Bubba's birth. However, there's still a twinge there that hurts, along with an emotion I can't quite place but that I would term "muted delight."

I can't completely let go of the bitterness I feel toward people who came by their children easily. I can't quite excuse the thoughtlessness of someone who brings their baby to work without realizing what kind of heartbreak and pain they could be causing someone who has lost a child, had a miscarriage, or is infertile. I feel this way even though I've brought Bubba to work myself--albeit for short, very occasional visits, not for entire days like the woman down the hall. When I did make visits such as that, I often felt ill at ease, like I was playacting, starring as "the naive joyous perfect mother!" and was still aware that my visit could potentially be painful so I usually kept the whole thing as low key and short as possible.

This causes some consternation within me because I do feel like workplaces should be supportive of families--but I don't think that bringing the child to work is the answer. How about allowing someone to work from home (whether or not they have a child, for that matter)? Better yet, how about a real system of employer/government subsidized, affordable, decent, reliable childcare?

I remember so well how there were virtually no "safe" places for me to be after losing Hope. Even work was rife with pregnancy announcements, baby shower notices and baby-talk, but at least it didn't usually involve having to actually see or hear a brand-new infant. For people like me, I honestly believe that bringing a new baby to work can make the workplace just as "hostile" as sexual discrimination can. Maybe it just doesn't affect enough people.

Today, as I listen to that baby cry, I realize that no matter how old I get, and no matter how much time passes, it will always be a reminder of what I didn't hear when Hope was born--and what I did hear when Bubba came into this world.

3 comments:

Tingle said...

I've felt this way many times, and even more now feel that "left behind" feeling. I've been feeling forgotten, as if I'd never had and lost a child. People who haven't been through infertility (and I mean REAL infertility, not people who took 6 months to get pregnant and had to take Clomid or something and consider that "infertility") or the loss of a pregnancy or infant can never understand the heartache they cause others by gushing about their pregnancies, rubbing their bellies, and, more than anything, acting like everything will be fine. I always want to grab them by the shoulders and yell into their faces, "How can you be so SURE??? Anything can happen!"

I especially relate to this:
"I can't completely let go of the bitterness I feel toward people who came by their children easily. I can't quite excuse the thoughtlessness of someone who brings their baby to work without realizing what kind of heartbreak and pain they could be causing someone who has lost a child, had a miscarriage, or is infertile."

Your first sentence, especially - I'll never be able to let go of that bitterness. Just this week, some people were standing right outside my office gushing about all the different pregnancies in our building and I just wanted to slam my door shut!

I don't expect that I won't ever see pregnant people, I just wish that everyone would be more sensitive to those of us who are hurt by the gushing, the taking for granted that everything will be OK - and to just remember that some of us have empty arms and holes in our hearts.

butterfly cocoon said...

Hello,
I wanted you to know I stopped by to read and get to know you. I very much appreciate your comments on my blog. And I'm hooked on yours now.
I expect to be a regular now.
Thanks again!

Roxanne said...

Oh, I like you! How did I miss you? BTW, I am also a mom to a stillborn and living child who is also a guilty failed breastfeeder! I was looking through your old posts. Did you see the latest study that says that formula fed children are not any less intelligent than breastfed babies? Just thought I'd pass that on.