Wednesday, November 07, 2007

In This Post, I Reveal My Real First Name

I called my sister tonight just to say hello. It was a pretty mundane conversation for the most part. Then, in typical fashion for my family, it all went to hell in about 20 seconds. Despite all my whining on here, I must have done some kind of healing or had some kind of personality development since I left home because it seems like the older I get, the more obviously dysfunctional the rest of my family is. I mean, I am too, but at least I'm aware of it!!!

Anyway, I was telling her about how much fun Bubba is right now, how incredibly cute he is and how much I'm enjoying it. I related to her about how when we get home from work/daycare, he says "I wanna cuddle you," and we sit on the couch and watch a DVD and love on each other. He'll say "You love me Mama?" and I'll smile and say "I love you SO much!" and then he'll say "I love you too Mama!" with a big smile on his face; sometimes he'll reach is hand up and stroke my cheek. It's enchanting and magical and it's like a big huge reward for all the struggling I've had in the past three years learning how to be somewhat comfortable with motherhood and learning how to enjoy my child rather than pretty much hating the whole thing.

Her response was this: "Oh my god, Sue, don't make him into a wuss! He's gonna be such a mama's boy!" This really pissed me off. Here I am, trying to relate something positive (at last) about my experience as a mother and she just stomps on it. Nevertheless, I tried to be rational so I said, "It's taken me so long finally enjoy something about having a kid and I'm going to revel in it and enjoy it as much as I can." She said she just thought it was "weird." I asked why, and I'm sure at this point she realized she'd pissed me off, so she said she didn't know and that she was afraid of saying the wrong thing. I tried to get off the phone but she said she didn't want us to get off the phone with me being mad. I told her I wasn't mad, just felt defeated. In all honesty, I didn't want it to be a big deal because I've learned from experience that it's just not worth it in my family. So I told her I was having a hard week and that it wasn't a big deal and let's just stop talking about it. We talked about some other stuff and got off the phone with our usual "I love yous."

My sister and I have a complicated relationship (do all sisters?) She's eight years older than me and very bossy. She's an elementary school teacher and her husband is very passive so she pretty much runs the show at work and at home and it spill over into every other relationship as well. I don't think she means to hurt people; I think she's just so used to pushing everyone around that she doesn't have a filter there that the rest of us do. I also recognize the occasional bitchy, uncalled-for comment as a family trait. Christ, I did it to LilCherie last night. Still, I at least TRY to rein it in.

Obligatory Disclaimer To Address My Guilt Issues: I love my sister dearly, and in many ways she's like another mother, which is comforting at times but difficult at others. I can say that she's always been there for me, with one exception that I'll talk about some other time, and she's incredibly loyal. Generally, she's really a good person.

Like the rest of my family, and myself although I 'm working on it, she has a unique ability to turn anything upside down and inside out to make it negative, or to point out the worst possible aspect of anything you share with her. I doubt she even realizes she's doing it.

The other day I went back to my hometown, where she lives as do my mom and dad, and we were talking at dinner about Bubba's sleep issues (one of us pretty much has to sleep with him in order for any of us to get any rest). She starts going on about how "He's three years old. He's old enough to be sleeping by himself. What's he going to do when he starts getting invited to people's houses for sleepovers?" I said something about how that was a long ways off and hopefully we'd have made some progress by then; right now we're just trying to relax about it and wait awhile until he's a little developmentally older and we're a little more ready to deal with it.

At some point in the conversation she makes sure to remind us all (as if we weren't there at the time) about how her girls never had any sleep issues. They both slept through the night at six weeks (they honestly really did) and they never had to sleep with them. That helps a lot! Thanks, Sis!

I am naturally a very open, honest person and I kind of like to just let things be out in the open. I guess that's why I have to keep learning the lesson over and over and over again to never discuss anything that's important or meaningful with any of my family members. But in my defense, I shared the Bubba cuddling story with her because I thought it was charming and sweet. It never even occurred to me that she could spin it negatively.

Personally, I think it's healthy that Bubba and I are able to be that lovey-dovey with one another and I hope that it is evidence that Bubba will grow up to be a little more in touch with his emotions than his father and most other men are. I love it and Bubba loves it so that's enough for me, but I'm curious...what do you guys think? Do you think it's "weird"?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOOO HOOOO your back, I enjoy reading your writings for many reasons .
* I ama too tired worn out friend with no time to call so I can at least check out your blog to make sure you are still alive.
* Y ou have interesting views on a wide range of topics.
* It is therapy for me to see how you deal with the shit of life as well as the pleasures of snugging with your son.(bad sister)
* I support you in everything you do love you, pioneer girl

Cate said...

No, its not weird. Its normal. In many ways he is still a baby and needs love and reassurance. Doing this for him will make him have better self esteem and be a more secure child. Denying children physical affection is what makes for dysfunctional relationships later. Luckily, we are in the generation where it is recognized that children, even boys, need this kind of interaction with their parents. The days of children being "seen and not heard" are over.

thrice said...

What's weird is that my mother does this same shit. I try to talk about the weather or tell her what I think is a cute story and WHAM she'll spin it and slam me. Then, when I try to defend it or explain how she's being hurtful, she'll get all irate and yell at me that I can NEVER listen, that I always hver to be right. UGHHHHH.

I think people like your sister and my mother have to give advice to feel validated. And the advice, must knock the person down. Yes, the relationship is very complicated and I don't know where to stay in the relationship in order to stay safe from her zingers. More than anything it's very exhausting.

I think your story is very cute. Bubba's asking for validation and you are giving it to him. It's almost begs the question, why does your sister feel the need to look so far, for something negative??

Aurelia said...

Oh please ignore your sister....blech bad advice.

Hug them close, you'll never regret it.

Roxanne said...

I don't know why that would be weird. I think it's sweet. It would be a lot weirder if your kid didn't love you and want to snuggle with you.

Melissa said...

It's not weird at all! It's totally natural and sweet.

I'm sure your sister is nice, but having both kids sleep through at 6 weeks makes me want to smack her! She'll never know how lucky she is because she just thinks that's normal.

Cass said...

I can so totally relate on many levels...the sister issue and the mothering issues. It took me awhile to really feel really bonded to my child as well. I would say several years, actually. Parenting is a topic that makes me feel very vulnerable-- when it comes to others judgements...

Tingle said...

I think your sister is so far away from having such a little one like Bubba that she doesn't "get it." Plus, she had girls, so what does she know about raising a boy? 3 is my favorite age - especially because kids at that age haven't learned to be stingy or shy with their affection and they are so beautifully honest.

Cate is right - at 3, kids are really straddling the gap between babyhood (relying on others) and kid-hood (independence!). There are times when they are really going to be on one side or the other, and times when they are both.

I like what Thrice said, too - it's obvious your sister has this need to be right, and she doesn't realize how negative and hurtful that is sometimes - or how sometimes what she thinks or does or says isn't actually right!

Vixanne is right, too - it would be weirder if Bubba didn't want to snuggle or hug you - and I've known kids like that. It's a real warning sign that something else is wrong.

I guarantee you that your sister hugged and snuggled and loved on her kids when they were 3. Maybe she judges because she wasn't loved on enough as a kid!