Monday, November 05, 2007

Marriage counseling again.

So much for NaBloPoMo, huh? I briefly thought about back-dating some posts but then decided to just say fuck it. Still, in the spirit of it, I'm going to at least try to post more often.

Tomorrow J. and I have an appointment with a new marriage counselor. We tried counseling a couple of years ago, and for various reasons it didn’t work out. I decided we needed to give it at least one more go before calling it quits, and he agreed.

I don’t even know how to begin to explain the deadness, the emptiness, and the anger that seems to define our relationship. Those who have known us for a long time will note that we’ve always had conflict in our relationship, and that’s true. Since high school we’ve been fighting and making up and fighting and making up. The difference is that back then, there was genuine affection between us during the good times, and we made real efforts to stop doing the things that pissed the other one off. Now, the “good” times are when we are pretty much ignoring each other but not actively pissed, or maybe sharing a joke or some small talk. It doesn’t go beyond that—there’s no intimacy, no cameraderie…it’s just not loving.

Sometimes it feels very much like we are coworkers, and our job is Bubba. I almost added “and the house” but I am the only one who does any housework, so I guess that’s my job alone. J. has generally been a very loving and involved dad, but lately I’ve noticed that even that seems to be sliding. Maybe it’s because I feel I’m doing a better job at being a mother, so now I notice his shortcomings as a father. I don’t know. J. is very good about taking Bubba out to the park, out to the mall to ride the carousel, things like that. But at home, he rarely does any kind of play with him that requires effort or attention. Usually they sit and watch cartoons together.

Every night, J. has to be reminded to brush Bubba’s teeth and give him his medicine. When I had my sinus surgery, Bubba didn’t get a bath all week because J. just couldn’t be bothered and I was too sick. He got one the day before I went for surgery and got his next one on the first day I was even semi-functional again. This morning, Bubba had to go potty and J. was in the shower. J. had locked the bathroom door because he didn’t want Bubba to open the door and possibly expose J. to my parents, who come out on Mondays to watch Bubba. Like that’s even a big deal anyway—it’s not like they’d be looking, you know?

Anyway, I went to take Bubba into the bathroom and encountered the locked door. Bubba was rattling the door pretty frantically trying to get in. “Bubba has to go potty,” I called into the bathroom. “Goddammit!!!” J. yelled. Then, in response to Bubba’s rattling, he yelled “Stop it!” so harshly I figured he was talking to me. “Bubba’s doing it,” I called back. “I know, I wanted him to stop,” he replied. I was really taken aback that he would yell at Bubba like that for something as innocent as that. It worries me to think of what it would be like if we were divorced. What would Bubba do when he visited Daddy? Just sit in front of TV all the time? Would I have to call every night to make sure he got his teeth brushed and his medicine taken and got bathed once in awhile? Would J. yell at him like that every time he was grumpy and tired from playing PlayStation until 2:30 in the morning (which is almost every night)?

What really got me motivated to make the counseling appointment was the love letter. On Oct. 14, I wrote J. a love letter. It was a page-and-a-half long, and I sent it through the mail for him because in the past he’d complained about never getting good mail. I started the letter out with the sentence “Warning: This is a love letter.”

Now, as mentioned above, I’ve not been really feeling the love lately, but the night I wrote this I was feeling optimistic and trying to count my blessings. This letter was my way of reaching out and trying to get things on the right track again. I sent it to him on Tuesday, and it arrived at our house on Wednesday.

He opened it right away, read the first sentence, smiled, then said he’d read it later. Sounded reasonable, since he’d just gotten home from work and was still in his work clothes and Bubba was being demanding, etc. But three days later, it was still where he’d left it. I picked it up and put it with my stuff. Two days after that, he noticed it was missing and asked for it back. At first I said no, but then I decided to try to be a better person than that, to try to be compassionate, etc., so I handed him back the letter and said “Even though it hurt my feelings that you haven’t read this yet, I still want you to have it because I still feel these things for you.” I handed it to him as he was playing Guitar Hero (he paused it for me—how sweet).

Two weeks go by. I hear nothing about the letter. J. spends his evenings spending hours playing Guitar Hero or indulging in his latest obsession with crossword puzzles. So finally I ask him one night, “Did you ever read that letter I gave you?”

Nope. He hadn’t read it. He knew he was in deep shit because he actually uttered the words “I’m sorry” but then told me he’d just forgotten it was there. I asked him where it was because I wanted it back for good this time. He wouldn’t tell me, so I started rifling through his stuff, for some reason thinking maybe it had actually made it all the way back to his nightstand or something. Finally, angrily, he went and got the letter—off the kitchen counter—and handed it to me, snarling at me that I should “cut him some slack” because it had been a “crazy couple of weeks” with his bad cold and my sinus surgery.

When I pointed out that he’d had plenty of time to play games or do crosswords, he didn’t say anything. Then I asked him how he would feel if he’d given me a present and I just left it on the counter unopened for two weeks. “That’s not the same thing,” he said. “This wasn’t a present.” That hurt me quite a bit, because I really do consider a love letter to be a gift, and one that’s way better than a popcorn popper. “Just because I didn’t go out and buy it at a store?” I replied. “Well, it wasn’t in a box, wrapped up in paper and with a bow on it,” he said. It just seems so cold and heartless and insulting to me. It seems like he really just doesn’t give a shit about me or us.

This weekend we went to LilCherie’s annual Halloween party, which is always a blast and which we always really get into. We’ve gone for 12 years or something like that and only missed one; we’ve had some awesome costumes. This year I decided to be Britney Spears, and had a hilarious costume that I’d spent a lot of time getting ready. J. didn’t know what to be, so I came up with some ideas and he picked one. While I was recovering from surgery, and still feeling pretty crappy, I went out and got him all the stuff he needed for his costume, going to three or four different stores and shelling out probably $30 to $40 bucks.

Saturday came around and by Saturday afternoon, J. was acting kind of mopey. When I asked what the problem was, he said he’d been invited to too many things that night, none of which he’d told me about. Apparently, another friend was having a party, and his sister was having a little get-together. I told him, nicely, to do whatever he wanted to do, to just be happy. He decided he would drop me off at LilCherie’s, go to his sister’s for awhile, then come back to the party. When he dropped me off at 4:30 p.m. he said, “I’ll be back in a little while.”

Somewhere around 11 p.m. he came back to the party, only I didn’t know it because I was in another room of the house and J. didn’t even bother to find me to say hello. He just went straight down to the basement so he could play PlayStation with some of the guys. I didn’t even know he was there until 12:30 or 1 a.m., and by that time I’d taken off my costume. He never even got to see me in it. And he never even took his costume out of the bag. Later on, I just said to him, “I wish you could have seen me in my costume. It was kick-ass.” He said, “Well, you can show me later.” I declined.

I don’t know what’s going on. He seems so uncaring and distant. He sits outside of work and smokes for half an hour before coming home, so he doesn’t get home now most days until 6:20 p.m. or so. We don’t have sex at all, haven’t for months. We don’t sleep in the same room. Our friends notice he’s moody. My parents think we should get divorced and are actively starting to get angry at how he treats me and how he doesn’t do jack shit around the house. I can’t hold it together much longer.

Some of you might be thinking, “It sounds like he’s depressed.” He is, I’m sure. We both are. He’s on antidepressants, and recently, got diagnosed with ADD so he’s also on meds for that, which, in my opinion, have just made things worse. He feels they are helping, though, so he won’t quit them. He does go to therapy sporadically, but “doesn’t feel like sharing” what he is working on. Maybe that’s because all he talked about with his previous counselor, whom he saw for about a year, was current events, movies, and music. Gee, I wonder why it didn’t help anything?

So that’s the story of why we’re going to marriage counseling. If this counselor can’t get to the bottom of things, then I really think it’s over. It’s just hard to make the move to actually get divorced. I wrote in my journal the other day that it's like doing CPR on someone who is clearly dead: You don't know if the very next breath you give might be the one that saves the life, so you don't know when to quit, but in the end, you're still stuck with a corpse. I am afraid of what my life will be like financially because we have a lot of debt, and I’m afraid of how it might screw Bubba up. But I think this situation could screw him up too, and I know I can’t live the rest of my life like this.

Today I walked back from lunch and it just hit me what a mess my life is. I hate my job, my marriage is essentially ending three years after we finally managed to bring a kid into the mess, I’m depressed and old and fat and my sinuses hurt and I’m in debt. How did I get here? I can’t believe I’ve failed so spectacularly. I have always tried to do the right thing and make the right decisions, and this is where I end up. It feels very overwhelming right now, like I’m buried under a pile of shit and I can only claw my way out turd by turd.

So how was your day?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there...I don't know your first name, so I'm going to call you - Claudia. So Claudia, I relate so much to your post. The chapters may be a little bit different but the story is the same.

I actually try to talk some of the younger girls at work out of getting married. Ok, not really, but those that are engaged and dreaming of gaining that title of "wife" usually get a few words from me. Why do we always want what we don't have?

I feel like I can't even remember what marriage was like before having a child. He's 4 now and my husband and I are basically co-workers in this house with the "job" being "getting through each day". Of course, I'm the resentful disgruntled coworker who does all the work and gets none of the praise.

It's not guitar hero here, but rather his PC. He would sit in his office for the rest of his life if given the option. He "flys airplanes". Talk about ridiculous...staring at a computer screen and inching a joystick a tiny bit. Whatever.

So, I get it. I'm 36 now, with a 4 year old and a marriage that one of my close friends described as "a poison that seeps into the rest of your life". No, I don't want to continue this but it's so much harder to start new. Even though that same friend did it with 3 kids and no job and is now happily remarried with 2 more children.

Me - it's not about EVER getting married again. I don't even care about finding someone else. I'd rather have no one and be free and happy. I can see the other side and it's so peaceful.

Today I have dropped my kid off at school, gone to work and picked him up because my husband's tummy hurt. He's a hypochondriac. He usually does the pick up but I had to because he didn't feel well. Oh, and I have a sinus/throat infection and can hardly talk. My commute with daycare drop off is an hour and with daycare pick up is an hour. So, I've spent 2 hours in the car today. And had to come home and make kiddo and I dinner. Plus, I'll have to give him a bath in a few minutes and handle bedtime. While my husband is sitting in his office doing whatever the fuck he's doing.

So much resentment. And so much in common. Thanks for letting me vent. I hope it made you feel less alone.

xo Cheryl

Cate said...

I am sorry, depressionista. I hate to tell you this but your current relationship sounds exactly like my first marriage. We got married way too young (19) and spent the first few years either fucking or fighting. As you get older and your priorities change, that kind of relationship just doesn't work anymore. I used to wonder the same thing...when will I ever have the courage to just call this quits and get a divorce? Well, it happened when life became so unbearable that the fear of change became so much smaller than the hope for something better. Eventually, something has to give...your sanity or your marriage. So sorry you are going through this, in any case. Especially with Bubba around.

thrice said...

After going through marriage therapy, I can't help to feel that somehow the "therapy" is a great con-job. Y'know that we need to know that the offending partner was mean, but he didn't mean to be mean? Yeah right.

Aurelia said...

ADD girl here, just wondering what meds he's on, because if they aren't working, then he needs to switch doses or meds. Frankly, it sounds like he is missing doses or isn't on a stimulant. (Strattera is a piece of shit, btw. If he's on that, he NEEDS to switch.)

Frankly too many of us, never get diagnosed until we get older and because we've spent our entire lives being failures and screwups, we get depressed and sad, and everyone wants to put us on antidepressants.

And those can help a bit, but unless we take stimulants for ADD and get some therapy directly for ADD, then we will ALWAYS be fucked up.

For example, stimulants actually calm me down the way valium helps other people. Valium and clonazepam make me so out of control and unable to function they are like nightmare pills. Same for alcohol.

Traditional therapy is not appropriate for us because therapists are not supposed to tell the client what to do, and we really really need someone to tell us what to do, because we've never known what the hell to do. If our spouses do this, we end up resenting them and fighting with them, even doing less because we want to push back.

And other authority figures, like bosses? Nope, even worse. We need objective third parties, like
personal coaches to help us feel positive and hopeful and want to try.

Depressionista, you two can't succeed in therapy unless he gets better help personally. Email me if you want some websites or other resources that can help him find it.

In the meantime, hang on girlfriend, you are halfway there, really.

Tingle said...

I've often said that marriage often evolves into something that is more like "roommates" than some kind of "happily ever after." I still think that's true a lot of the time. Unfortunately, we're fed the "happily ever after" so that we expect nothing less.

I like your "co-workers" analogy. I imagine that's about right, especially with a kid in the mix.

I'm still astounded that J. didn't read the love letter, that's just nuts - and I agree: hurtful! If I got something like that, I wouldn't be able to wait to read it! Although I have at times set something aside until I could give it my full attention, I always found the soonest moment to read it.

NOT a present???? That one floors me! A love letter is the best present anyone can get - wrapped in a box with a bow OR NOT! Some of my most treasured "gifts" from my hubby are nice notes, and one year, I think 2 years ago, he hand-made me a card for our anniversary and painted daffodils (my favorite flower) on it. It wasn't wrapped, not even in an envelope, but it's a GIFT I cherish!

The more Britney and her breakdown are in the news, the more I see pictures of her in that sequined top and bottom, and the more impressed I am with your Halloween costume! I wish you would post a photo of it, it's SO good!

How is the counseling going? Maybe I'll read that in future posts. A lot of what you say hits home, that's for sure - the "how did I get here" feelings. I hate to think about 10-20 years ago and where I imagined my life would be when I was this age. It's so depressing to know that I haven't done anything I'd hoped I would.