Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Pared-down purse, day 2

Okay, I'm posting this in the hopes that you all can help me figure out where I'm going wrong with the small purse trial.

Today, on day two, I list the current contents of my bag:

•One umbrella
•Baggie of BandAids and meds
•Checkbook
•One bottle DreamAngels "Heavenly" perfume
•One prescription for pulmicort for Bubba, rec'd this morning from the doctor
•One letter with a check enclosed that will need to be deposited
•Two receipts from the pharmacy that will need to be submitted to my flex plan
•One receipt from HyVee
•One bottle of Aromatherapy Body Splash
•Three used tissues
•One receipt from Walgreens
•One eyeshadow compact
•One bottle of foundation
•One eyeliner pencil
•One hair elastic
•One lipstick
•One rogue Cert
•Five tampons
•One pad
•One pen
•Two quarters, two dimes and a penny

Allow me some explanation. Tonight we (Bubba, J., me, and my college-age niece A.) are going to see my other niece play at a junior high honor band event that is being held about 45 minutes away. J. is picking me and Bubba up and then we are off to pick up A. and continue on to see the show. The rest of my family is also going to be there, so that incudes my mom and dad, sister and brother-in-law. There won't be time for me to go home and refresh myself, so that explains the makeup, and I'm always trying to disguise my smoking from my family even though they know I do it, plus I'm wearing my smelly Clark shoes, so that's why I have various smelly things in my purse.

As I was going through the contents, I straightened up, so we'll see what happens tomorrow. But let me ask you this: Is it just a matter of daily maintenance? Do you all go through your bags at night or in the morning and straighten them up? Or do you have little tricks (like the one Tingle mentioned in her last comment) that keep you on track? Truly, people, this is driving me nuts!

5 comments:

butterfly cocoon said...

I wish I had the answer to the pared down post. I find myself a little jealous of the neat and tidy purse crowd. I've never been one, always carried bags the size of small luggage, although I get to use motherhood nowadays as an excuse.
And don't you hate it when someone comments on purse size? "Is that bag big enough?" It's as rude as commenting on weight (almost) in my opinion.
It's funny that when I go to pare down my purse the entire family gathers 'round to see what just might come out that thing.
I would be interested to see what responses may be to this so I can steal ideas.
Big Purse Gal, Trisha

Cass said...

I keep the small purse these days. I had to go small or I tend to be a "packrat" myself. I tend to try to go through once a week or so and take out anything that is just taking up space--papers or pieces of jewelry I happened to take off when I was out and about, etc. My thoughts on not having a big bag is if I really need something I tend to be able to find it, usually from people who are carrying big purses...:) or somewhere around the office at work or I can just buy it at a store if I really need it. But I rarely find myself really needing something I don't have. And it seems a lot less stressful to have to deal with a smaller piece of luggage. Plus I find that my shoulder hurts a lot less...for real.
Keep up the good work!! I know its a challenge for you but you will so enjoy it as you adapt!!

Anonymous said...

My purse litteraly has the following: wallet, keys, pen, and one tube of lipstick.

I keep my cell phone in my pocket of my pants or my coat.

Thinking of that big bag you are carrying around makes me feel loaded down!

I do have a laptop bag that has my laptop and a work notebook but I only lug that too and from work and leave it in the car if I have to run errands before or after work.

I just hate having to sift around or be ladden down with things.

Tingle said...

I agree with Trish, comments about your bag are as bad as comments about weight.

Here are my purse-management techiques, born of the necessity of finding what I'm looking for:

- like Lilcheie, I go through my purse about once a week and get rid of anything that isn't needed on a daily basis - such as receipts, random coins, hair do-dads, jewelry, mail, etc. This really helps minimize the clutter

- I keep a small wallet - if it gets loaded with more than a couple receipts and coins, I can't even close it, so then it's time to take that stuff out, toss receipts, send the coins to the coin jar, etc.

- Until recently, I've always carried a large purse. When my grandma died, my grandpa gave me some of her purses and it was awesome because she had all those big grandma purses, a lot of them gold and white (they lived in Florida) which I thought was marvelously kitchy. With these large purses, I could keep the "emergency pack" of necessities, along with the normal purse stuff, and my dayplanner, which I always must have with me. One trick I did carrying the big purse was that I always had a wrist-wallet or wallet-type thing that I could take for a quick trip to the store, or I could grab that to go out to lunch and leave my big purse in the office. Now I have a wallet that holds my cell phone, credit cards, money, and coins, so I grab that even out of the small purse when I'm making a quick trip. This has worked great for me since it's like having a smaller purse within the larger purse for times when you're just running to the gas station or something.

- Moving to a smaller purse means a small calendar instead of a dayplanner, which has worked fine - I use my cell phone as my phone book now. I also have to leave the emergency pack at home - but frankly, I haven't needed it.

Like Lilcherie said, I have markedly less back/shoulder pain with my little purse (which doesn't even have a shoulder strap).

Here's what's in my little purse:
small planner calendar
checkbook
cell-phone/wallet combo
2 small hair clips
2 pads
small flash drive
passport (paranoia item)
keys
blue tooth headset
pack of antibacterial wipes
tube of hand sanitizer
one post-it note with a phone number on it
pack of mints
Blistex DCT
2 pens
1 pencil
1 small chocolate bar
miniature hairbrush
face powder
rolaids

That's a lot in a little purse, I think, but it works for me. :)

Anonymous said...

Good Post
Please visit Natural Weight Loss if you’re looking for quick, healthy weight loss.