Thursday, November 09, 2006

A tiny house of dreams


Lately, I've been fantasizing about tiny houses. Have you all heard about the tiny house phenomenon? As far as I know, it was founded in the late 90s by Jay Shafer, Shay Salomon, Nigel Valdez, and Gregory Paul Johnson. The group built a small house, Johnson parked it in his parents' backyard and started living in it, and thus, a movement was born. Now, Shafer and others manufacture these houses, and there are lots of people making and living in tiny houses, most between 50 and 500 square feet.

The idea behind this, from what I've read, is that we can only inhabit a very small amount of space at any one time--so why do we need to live in houses that are 1,500 square feet? These houses are designed with foldaway beds and tables and smart, economical use of space so that it's not like you're sitting in an outhouse. The homes are good for the environment, cheap, and reflect an attitude of "less is more."

I'd heard about this several years ago, but my interest was sparked again by an article I read in, I think, Newsweek magazine (can't find the link, sorry). Since I read that article a few months ago, my thoughts have turned again and again to how lovely it would be to have my very own tiny house in my backyard. I could store all my sentimental junk in my real house, but actually live in the tiny house, all by myself. I particularly like the "XS House" on the Tumbleweed site.

Of course, I'd make regular visits to "the big house" for interaction with Bubba, to make sure Bubba wasn't living in squalor because J. won't clean anything, and probably to do my laundry. But otherwise, I could live in the small house, listening to music....writing...reading books. No constant blare of the TV that J. refuses to turn off, no listening to the maddening "tap-tap-tap-tap-tap" of J. playing Guitar Hero for the 5th hours straight. No piles of clutter, no dirty socks on the floor...just me, my journal, and my tiny house. The idea of it is so freeing.

It occurs to me as I write this that pretty much what I'm looking for is a way to get away from J. while still living at home, not getting a divorce, and having regular time with Bubba. I would still like to see J. on occasion--I mean, he is a pretty funny guy and he manages to soothe me sometimes when I get really scared about stuff. And he is a great dad. But living with him? I think maybe I've had enough.

You know, maybe a tiny house is the answer to my marital issues. Why not? There are weirder situations our there, I'm sure. And this sure would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a divorce.

2 comments:

Roxanne said...

I saw the tiny houses in Fortune Magazine. But isn't it really like a playhouse? Or a shed? With a kitchen and a bathroom? I think that's what my tiny house would turn into...a place to put all of my junk that can't fit in the big house.

marcygee said...

I've never seen these tiny houses! I love them! I agree, the XS is great. I also like the Concord. When we purchase the land we will live on with all of our friends and family, communal-like, we could set these up all around. I wish I could scale back my stuff to live in a place like this. I often think what a waste my house is, since I only spend a lot of time in just a few of the rooms.