Saturday, December 15, 2007

My Life as a Trichotillomaniac

So. I wanted to talk to you today about....trichotillomania, otherwise known as a "hair pulling disorder." I also want to give a shout out to Melissa, who bravely came out in the comments on my last post. Good for you!

I started pulling my hair in fifth grade. I remember the very first time I pulled out one of my own head hairs. I was in science class, and Mr. Hansen made everyone pull out a hair from their scalp and look at it under the microscope. I was fascinated by the root. It hurt, but not enough to prevent me from pulling out another one now and then to examine the root again. By the time I was in sixth grade, it had become a habit that I have lived with ever since. It didn't hurt anymore at all. I knew it was weird so I tried to hide it, but one day my mom found a huge pile of my long hair next to the chair where I used to sit and read. I told her what I was doing and she just told me to stop and seemed kind of disgusted, so after that I was more careful about cleaning up after myself.

I have always pulled from one primary location on my head, at the crown on my right side where I also have a cowlick. I also pull from the other side, but not as much. Throughout my school years, I don't remember it being so bad--I could do a comb-over and spray it with hairspray and it was pretty much undetectable. Now it's more noticeable, because along with adulthood has come more anxiety and thus, more pulling. I used to agonize over what I freak I was, try to stop, fail, and then feel even worse about myself. Now, I've kind of let myself go with it. Sometimes I still feel like a freak (like when I have to visit my stylist), but in general, I've kind of accepted it as part of who I am.

The only problem is that because I pull more, my bald spots are harder to hide. I now have long hair, so I'm able to pull it back into a barrette or put it up and hide the spot. I can never go out of the house with my hair down, because it would just be too apparent. Plus, because of the constant stress on those follicles, all the hair there is white.

So why do I do it? I tend to do it in two different situations: stressful ones, or times when I'm bored. I do it a lot at work. I do it a lot in the car when the drive is boring. There is a ritual to it: I feel for a hair that is particularly coarse, pull, examine it, and then usually chew on the root. I know, it's disgusting, but not that uncommon amongst those of us to have this disorder. It somehow relaxes me, even though there's still some residual shame that comes on after a big pulling binge.

You can read a lot about trichotillomania on the web. Some of the more interested tidbits to me are that the disorder is possibly related to Tourette's syndrome; some hypothesize that it's kind of an overexpression of normal self-grooming behaviors that our primate relatives engage in. There are also a couple of disorders related to trichotillomania including compulsive skin picking, which I also engage in, and obsessive compulsive disorder, one that I somehow escaped. While some think trichotillomania is or could be classified as OCD, right now it is labeled an "impulse control disorder." There's also a hereditary component, which I know is true in my case. My dad is a skin picker, and at my grandma's funeral I happened to catch one of my cousins pulling her hair out during the service.

The whole thing has given me a lot of angst in the past. The first person I ever really told was J., who probably knew already but still, reacted very supportively. Then I told LilCherie, and later on, Tingle. A few months ago my mother saw my bald spot and seemed completely shocked, even though I'd told her before that I do this. "What's this from?" she said sort of gaspy. "Mom, I told you--I pull my hair out," I said. I guess maybe she finally believes me!

By far the worst part of this disorder is--or I should say was--going to the hairdresser. They'd come across the bald spot and look troubled, then really examine it and say something like, "What's going on here?" or "What happened here?" I'd usually feign ignorance, like "I don't know, I just noticed it and I don't know how it happened." It was mortifying every time. I started seeing my current guy, Shawn, about 8 years ago. We were acquaintances already before he did my hair, so I felt a little more comfortable with him, but I gave him the same line or variations for several years. He is so cool, though, that I finally decided to just tell him. He didn't act like I was a freak at all. He asked me a few questions about it, like why I do it, but not maliciously. Then he just said "We all have our thing, you know?" Last week when I got my hair cut I came clean right away and told him I'd been pulling a lot, and he was totally cool. No big deal.

And this is going to sound minor but it does cause me a little bit of grief--I hate, hate, hate the saying "I was about ready to pull my hair out!" It's amazing how much people use this expression, which I'm sure I wouldn't notice if I didn't actually pull my hair out!

I have to say I feel much less stress about this part of my life since I've decided to be open about it with those who are close to me and my hair guy. It's easier to be myself when I don't have to worry about my bald spot showing. Nobody has acted like I'm a freak, which surprised me because I always felt like one. But really, is it that much different from chewing your lip or biting your fingernails, which people do all the time, openly?

I wish more people--hair stylists especially!--knew about this disorder and I wish it could be discussed more openly, because I think it's really sad that something that is such a minor quirk in the big scheme of things causes people so much angst and anxiety for years. It's so not worth it.

So, to all you closet pullers out there, my advice is: come out, accept yourself, and realize that it's just not that big of a deal. If you want to pull, pull, and don't beat yourself up about it. You're not a freak, you're not alone, and you're not crazy. It's okay. Like Shawn said, we all have our thing.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about my disorder. Thank you. Goodnight!

24 comments:

charmedgirl said...

it's so true, we all have or thing. i have eating disorders. the thing that sucks is when your *thing* shows on the outside, by way of fatness, tooooo skinniness, cutting scars (my sister is a BAD cutter), or bald spots.

we are who we are at any given moment, whether it's something we try to change or not. better to accept ourselves as we are today, or cause so much stress, self-hatred, and anxiety that change is never even possible. and if we don't want to change it? even more of a reason.

i applaud this post!

Cate said...

I agree with your stylist...we all have our thing. Some people are just able to hide their "freakishness" better than others. I am obsessed with food.
Good for you for talking openly about it, though. It takes a lot of courage to expose yourself like that.

Melissa said...

I have really thick hair so my habit is only visible when the hairs start growing back and I get little sprouts everywhere. You and your stylist are right, it's really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but there is definitely a shame in talking about it. Don't even get me started on my obsession with blackheads...

Nicole said...

This was such a lovely and honest post and I respect you so much for discussing it. As you know, I am a cutter. I am also a picker. So your bald spots are my scars. Thank you for sharing your story.

Shame is such a damaging feeling. I hope we all can move to honesty and hope instead.

thrice said...

Yes everything manifests itself in one way or another. {{{hugs}}}

Cass said...

Wow...what a great post. My thing is skin picking. I think its so good for you and others to be able to get this all out in the open--if everyone was so open about things, the world would be a much better place.

Tingle said...

I have always, as long as I can remember, been militant about hair removal - mostly legs and eyebrows. There's something very satisfying about it, and feeling so sleek and aerodynamic!

But lately, I've graduated to something else - pulling out my eyebrows. I used to just try and keep them well-groomed. Then I would find a couple really long ones and wanted them out of my eyebrows! So I pulled them out. Then I just couldn't stop pulling and now I'm at the point where I have to "fill in the blanks" on my eyebrows with an eyebrow pencil to keep from looking like a total freak, which I probably do anyway.

I also pull my pubes sometimes - mostly just the long ones that somehow missed the trimming, but still...

And, in November, I purchased one of those "hair pulling out" devices (like the Epilady) for my dark arm hair. I tried using it on my legs, but the pain was so excruciating, there was no way. I just keep it for my arms now, works pretty well for the strip of dark hair I get on my arms.

I love how your mom just said to "stop it." Oh yeah, that's just what I needed to hear to get me to quit!

I think the eyebrow thing for me is definitely stress/anxiety related.

Anyway, pulling out my eyebrows is just the tip of the iceburg for me. Like you said, we all have our thing, and we really do.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post :) I have been pulling my hair since I was in 9th grade. It started in math class where I felt frustrated and I was going through weird and depressing times. I can remember the first time I pulled, and it hurt a little but not enough to not do it again. I really want to stop, but I don't know how. I want beautiful hair again, help? Thank you

Anonymous said...

Hello, I love your post. Im a trichotillomaniac, also and I have been pulling out my hair fo 6 years. Its usually a few at atime. I have a bald spot near the back of my head, right above my baby hairs. I also started when I was in 6th grd. I dont know where to go or what to do anymore....
Contact me @ myspace {dot} com {slash} sexicani
or
myspace.com/sexicani

Anonymous said...

FUCK! i cut alot...

Anonymous said...

meoW?
@ myspace[dot]com[slash]prettywoman
or

myspace[dot]com[slash]fuxxingisfunn

Anonymous said...

i have trich for about 4 years now. i was thirteen at the time i started and i be 17 in october. i try so hard to stop and i get scared to tell someone my problem and my mom gets confused when my hair ends up short again..and i just lie sayin i cut it or it fell out. i just wanna stop

i love your post. it feels good not to be the only one

starsmtsu12 said...

"I haven't yet read this whole post, but damn, it's like you wrote it for me--you've heard that before--and I'm already SO glad that we can all TALK about it now. Those years of hiding WERE the WORST!!" typed the 12 year puller, Miss A. Raines

Renee' said...

I was molested as a child and began pulling my hair as a way to relieve stress. Now I am 23 and the pulling has not stopped. I tend to focus on one spot directly in the center of my scalp. Anytime I stress or if Im bored I find myself pulling. My scalp becomes very sore. I recently took a pair of clippers and cut a bald patch in the area that I pull!!! I guess Il try anything to stop. It's starting to hurt badly.

Anonymous said...

oh my god. i am in 7th grade and i just became a trichtillomaniac this summer. i wasnt sure why i did it and i didnt think it was such a big deal at first. but then i got my first baldspot, and my sister noticed what i was doing and told me to stop every time i pulled a hair. that didnt help though, now my whole family and my friends try to tell me to stop and no matter how hard i try i cant. now the regrowth of hairs are really little and stick up everywhere. i feel so alone all of the time and i just break down and cry because i dont know what to do. i feel like nobody understands. now that i see your post i feel muxh better, thanks for sharing. i really want to stop and i want my long, think hair back!! from,
sarah

Anonymous said...

I've been doing it since I was 13...It seemed weird since no one else I knew was doing it...but I've done it so much (in the crown of my head) that the scalp and hair texture are different now...I've been better about doing it less but my scalp itches and feels sore if i don't!!

Anonymous said...

I also have trichotillomania. Im thirteen years old and have suffered from this habit since 6th grade. I have no idea why I do it, but I do.

Anonymous said...

I too pick it out and examine it and chew on the root. They say its hereditary, but I have no clue who in my family had this disorder before me. It is very hard to live with something like this especially when your trying to find your place as a teenager in 8th grade. Most of my friends are very supportive, but you have those who like to follow the crowd and make fun of people. I have no one to talk to about this, because my parents just try to keep an eye on me constantly, because they dont want me to be hurt all the time. Right now, my hair is currently shaved so i can keep from pulling and I wear a beautiful wig to keep my confidence and self esteem level up. (im also the one who posted the above comment.)

Anonymous said...

I'm 13 and i think i have trichotillomania. I haven't told anyone and it's getting worse everyday. It all started when I was watching a movie and then my eyelid started to itch so started pulling out my eyelashes. A few weeks later I started pulling out my scalp hair and now I have a BIG bald spot that's hard to hide. Then about 6 months after the scalp hair episode i started pulling out my eyebrows. Now my eyebrows are extremly thin and it looks like I don't have eyebrows. I've been doing this for about 2 years now. I'm looking for help but, i'm too scared to tell anyone. If you could contact me at
www.myspace.com/gabyharman
that would me awesome. thank you

Anonymous said...

I'm 15 and I started pulling when I was in 7th grade. I do it when i'm bored too and I also find the root fascinating. My mom tells me to stop and asks me why I do it but I don't really have a reason besides boredom. She took me to a Psychiatrist but I never opened up and I wish I could stop but I can't find a way to do it. If only we lived in a world in which we weren't judged by our appearance.

Anonymous said...

Try antifungals. Sometimes trich is the skin's reaction to a mild fungal infection - the itching has nothing to do with your brain.

Terbinafine (either pills or ointment) works for me. Stops the itch/pull cycle dead within hours.

KatyBee said...

I also have Trichotillomania, except i pull out my eye lashes. It's interesting to see how you and many others who pull out the hair on your head feel about the habit. In some respscts i can relate. Like I also pull when im bored or stressed, but now that i'm old (20) i dont care too much about examining the root or eating/chewing the hair. I mostly just enjoy the semi painful feeling given by pulling the lashes. And sense we have much more hair than we do eye lashes, my habbit is made much more apparent from day to day. I wear eye liner but it still doesnt quite mask the lack of lashes. I am currently trying to let go of this strange habbit, or "recover", from this condition, but it is so difficult to stop an impulse that I've been indulging sense i was 12! But reading about others who have the problem makes me feel a little less freakish along my quest for freedom!!! :D haha well thanks for sharing your experience, i thought i might as well share mine.

Anonymous said...

I've had trichotillomania since i turned 11, just before i turned 12. im 17 now and i still havent stopped. i shaved my head and i stopped pulling for about a month, but now that i have a full head of hair im starting to pull again. i have a bald spot in the back of my ear, i try to hide it, but people notice. I feel really bad about what i do, but i don't know why i do it. I wish i could stop.

Anonymous said...

hi... i pull my hair but thank GOD i have no sprouts. i wanna meet a girl having the same addiction. add me or facebook.
reh_usa@yahoo.co.uk