Tuesday, December 18, 2007

This moment is unveiling the divine

I just got back from my therapy appointment. I came away with a few good things that I want to note for future reference.

I told her I've been in a rut lately where I feel like I slog through 8 hours of work and then gear up for another shift at home. I told her how I tend to dread doing some of the things that make up our evening routine, like playing with Gary, until they're actually underway and then I usually find myself having at least some fun.

She said, "So what you're telling me is that you get to go home after work, lie on your bed and listen to your son talk about love? Boy, that sounds terrible!" She helped me look at it as a way to unwind rather than something I have to do (even though I do have to do it, because if I didn't, the resulting tantrum would be so not worth it). Truthfully, though, it's my attitude more than anything else that makes it seem like a chore.

Another thing she said really made an impression on me. She said that when Bubba wants me to play with Gary, or "crash cars," or whatever, that he's inviting me into his world, and that as much as I can, I should accept those invitations so that when he's 30 and out on his own with his own family he will still be inviting me in (she's really good at saying things that I know I know as soon as she says them, but that I hadn't really brought up to the conscious level). This really made a lot of sense to me.

The final nugget, one that I think I'm going to post on the wall in my house, is something along the lines of "This moment is unveiling the divine." Translation for those who aren't all Sufi like my therapist: this moment, no matter how challenging--in fact, the more challenging, the more powerful it is--is an opportunity to stretch yourself to see how patient, how loving, how merciful you can be, either to yourself or to the person you are with.

My homework is to dance at least once before our next meeting in January, and to try to think of things that I think are fun, because I told her how I was trying to think of ways to make our time at home more fun and I came up with a big blank space that scared me so I stopped thinking about it.

5 comments:

thrice said...

I always wanted to be a more involved mom, and for multiple reasons I am not. One of those reasons is my constant headaches. Now whether that's from the ENDLESS sinus crap, my meds or the neck spasms I have, I just don't know. What I do know is if I take a Percocet, before I go home, that I do like to read and play with my kids much more than when I don't take a Percocet.

So my question to you is, is this at all pain related and if it is get yee self to the pain doctor and get some pain meds, because you will not be able to replacate this time with Bubba? Trust me on this.

charmedgirl said...

i am so, so, SOOO working on this exact thing right now. i have always been (too lazy? i don't know) to truly incorporate that thinking into my REAL life. that **"peace is every step" kinda thinking.

i am almost finished reading "eat, pray, love" which is pretty hot right now, but it's easing me into the way of taking advantage of my time, where i am, right now...within my moment. i can never get certain things back, but i can certainly be better and less prone to give into my natural weaknesses. i mean, having three 3y/olds is really, really crazy. but i will never ever get this chance again.

**"peace is every step," by the way, is the name of the *heavier* book i have next on the reading list. i hope it has some of that "this moment is unveiling the divine" in it!!!

Roxanne said...

I like that. This moment is unveiling the divine. I think I'll try to remember that.

Cass said...

I have spent a good amount of time trying "to be in the moment". I really like the phrase "unveiling the divine." It's too easy to live in our heads. As our therapist says, we live in a very "heady" society. I think one of my resolutions for the New Year is to live in my heart as often as possible. I feel like when I am there I am much more whole. Thanks for the words of inspiration!!

Tingle said...

I like the idea of seeing your evening with Bubba as a way to unwind, I should try that with some of the things I dread when I come home. Although I doubt I'll ever be able to see laundry as a way to "unwind."

I also like seeing when Bubba wants to play as an invitation into his world, that's a really beautiful way to look at it and I'm going to have to remember that.

Dance, huh? Maybe I should try that. You know I'm trying to do more positive thinking lately.