Friday, January 19, 2007

I've been memed...

Melissa at Musings and Mutterings tagged me for a meme (you should check her out, she does kick-ass song analyses)! The rules are:

1. Find the nearest book.
2. Name the book & the author.
3. Turn to page 123.
4. Go to the fifth sentence on the page. Copy out the next three sentences and post to your blog.
5. Tag three more folks.

So, here's where you get to see what kind of a hypochondriacal dork I am. The book nearest me is the one I've been reading for the past week or so, Flu: The Story of the Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918 and the Search for the Virus That Caused It by Gina Kolata.

The sentences requested are as follows:

"The winter of 1975-76 had been piercingly cold, with bitter weather that drove even the hardiest people indoors. Gray piles of hard-crusted snow cluttered parking lots and rimmed roadways. Everywhere--on buses and subways, in classrooms and offices--people were coughing and sneezing."

Sounds kinda familiar.

It was a great book up until about page 250 or so where she starts talking in-depth about the litigation nightmares surrounding the swine flu immunization campaign of the 1970s. Then I kind of lost interest, but I'm still carrying it around in my bag in case I get the urge to pick it up again.

I like to read stuff like this in an effort to figure out how to save me, my family and friends when the shit comes down.

I'm tagging LilCherie and Tingle in an effort to get them to post. (oops, sorry LilCherie, I didn't notice you'd updated today). If you don't know what a meme is, all you have to do is do the same thing on your blog that I've done here, and then tag other people. It's easy!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Nifty meme. And yes, it does sound familiar.

Nicole said...

How ya doin? Haven't seen you post in awhile so I just wanted to check in. No pressure though, just miss you. ;)

Tingle said...

That book sounds interesting, you read the most unusual stuff. OK, I take this tag seriously, but I need to post an update about where the heck I've been before I can do the meme. But I will do it!