Thursday, January 04, 2007

Poor! Huh, good god yall, what is it good for?

Absolutely nothin'! Say it again!

Yesterday I paid bills and realized I have $377 dollars left for the rest of the month. J. and I have separate accounts, so it's not like I'm going to have to support the whole family on that for the next 25 days, but it is supremely depressing. Especially since I am also in debt.

A substantial amount of the money we earn goes to three places: house, daycare, and car payment. Then there's are our payments on our debts and the health insurance, which we basically have to pay for since it's taken out of J.'s check.

We both have good, stable jobs. I have a four-year degree; J. has a two-year degree and has worked his way up to a decent position at his job. We have one car, a Saturn Vue; our house needs siding, new windows and carpet; our furniture is almost 100 percent hand-me-down (or handmade, and free, from my father). I honestly cannot remember the last time I bought a brand-new piece of clothing for myself (for Bubba, well, I splurge a little there...if buying stuff at Target is considered a splurge). My point is, we do not live extravagantly at all, but obviously we live beyond our means. The depressing thing is that according to our "means," we should be living in a one-room apartment, driving a 1977 Pacer and sending our kid to Abuse-a-Lot Childcare Center.

J. and I have had money issues ever since we first got married--the main issue being we never have enough. I'm not going to detail all the reasons why we are in the jobs we are and why it would not be advantageous for us to relocate or switch jobs, but trust me that we are kind of stuck in our current position until J. finds a better job in the area or until his grandma dies.

Is there anyone else out there waiting for someone to die so that you can have a little bit of financial freedom? I know this is so crass, but I'm all about being honest, even if it makes me look bad. J.'s parents both died in 2000, and we got a bit of money from their estate which allowed us to put a decent downpayment on our house (which we've since borrowed against) and pay off our credit cards. We said we'd never use them again....and of course we did, and here we are now with a brand new pile of credit card debt. Fucking credit cards!

Because J.'s parents died so young, whatever estate they were going to inherit from J.'s grandma now passes to J. and his two sisters. She's no millionaire, but she's comfortable. Part of her income comes from piece of land that was placed in a living trust for his grandma but was willed to J.'s dad so it is technically now "owned" by J. and his sisters.

J.'s grandma is 97 years old. She lived on her own until last month, when knee replacement surgery and small heart attack forced her to stay with her 70-something daughter.

J. and I both "joke" about how grandma is never going to die, and conversely, try not to worry too much about our debt because once she does kick off, we should be able to pay it off. But it's pretty depressing to think that someone has to die for us to be debt-free.

Obviously, J. doesn't have the closest relationship to his grandma. While always a decent person, she definitely favored J.'s biological sister over J. and his other sister who were both adopted. And, J. and I rationalize, how much fun can it be to be 97 years old? Your husband's dead, one of your two kids is dead, most of your friends are dead, you're in pain a lot, it's hard to move around and do stuff...etc.

I was thinking last night about how every generation wants the next generation to do better than they did. That led me to thinking about Tingle and LilCherie, who are definitely doing better than their parents did. Me, not so much. I don't know if this is due to Tingle's and LilCherie's financial skills or the fact that my parents made substantial money and I know theirs struggled. In any case, I do feel somewhat like a failure in this regard. It occurred to me that "doing better than your parents" is a somewhat arbitrary measure of success, but still it bothers me that two intelligent, responsible and educated adults make less money than my dad did all by himself, even though he never went to college.

Is it more difficult to live these days? Are things more expensive than they used to be? Do we just think we need more stuff than people did back then? What's the deal?

I remember, shortly after getting married, the shock of how much it cost to live. That first year, we were borrowing money from relatives to pay our rent and eat. We looked at Christmas as an opportunity to have a free meal and scam some leftovers that might last us a few days so we wouldn't have to buy groceries. Once, during a week of especially dire straits, I went to the local "cheap" food store. This will say something about my family: I had never been in one before. My mother had never bought a generic-brand anything.

I walked in and looked at the exposed ceiling, the cement floors, and the huge sign over the door that said "CASH ONLY!!!!" I looked around at the shoppers, and I'm ashamed to say I judged them, who mostly looked disheveled and...."poor." I turned right around and never went back. Not even to this day.

To walk into that store would have been admitting that I was poor, and "poor" wasn't--and still isn't--a label I could live with. Even though it's probably closer to the truth than any other I could come up with. There's such shame in this country about not having a lot of money. You can exchange stories about sex or intimate medical stuff or your sexual orientation but don't you dare talk about how much money you make--or owe!

I don't know I'm just elitist or if my attitude is just a leftover from my fairly pampered upbringing, but I know that I never want to be perceived as poor. And that's probably why I use my credit cards and rack up debt and end up waiting for an elderly relative to die so that I can get out from underneath it all. At times like this I often think of the wise LilCherie, who told me recently: "Your childhood just needed to be shittier, then things wouldn't seem so bad now. It worked for me."

When I was about 13, we had a gift exchange in our Girl Scout troop. My partner, Angela, was a fringe-dweller of my social group and was what you would call a "sad sack." I went to her and asked her what she wanted for Christmas. "A friend," she said pathetically. Thrown off by the answer, I thought for a moment and then said, "Well, I can't buy one for five dollars, so what else do you want?"

"Some leg warmers, I guess," she answered.

Nope, you can't buy friends--or a lot of other things that I am truly thankful for.

6 comments:

Aurelia said...

I like this post. It's true you know? We talk about our vaginas and our grief on these blogs all the time, but money? Whoa! No going there!

Anyway, I agree, things are different these days. Inflation has changed how much stuff costs. Don't feel bad, we're ALL in debt. *Sigh*

Child of the Hippies said...

I laughed my ass off when I read this post. My great aunt had no children (and in 1940 I dont think IVF was an option lol) so she took me in basically. Until I was 5 my parents lived in a van and traveled the US of A. They were southern rock musicians trying to make it big. I stayed with my aunt a lot of the time. Well her husband sold scrap metal to the government in WWII and she's sittin pretty at about 400k or so that she wont touch. The lady wont buy many groceries because there "could be a 2nd depression" I keep telling her to travel, do something fun...watch us enjoy it even. She's 85 and I joke that she's going to out live all of us. They've given us the "shes only got a few months" thing a few times - like last year, she broke her hip, had major heart surgery, and a stroke. She still smokes a carton of cigs a week (usually attached to her oxygen) and this woman is back at home mean as ever. WTF? If I take one too many tylenol my ass is going to die! She will NEVER DIE! I love her though, so I dont really want her to go - but we is POOR and need some CASH! :)

Tingle said...

This is a great post because I can relate and I laughed hard!!!

OK, first of all, I must not be very honest with you about my money woes. I am definitely not doing better than my parents, and that bothers me sometimes. Maybe I'm doing better than my parents did at my age, but heck, they had a 10-year-old and an 8-year-old when they were my age, so things are a little different.

Here's the bold, honest truth - ever since my first credit card when I was in college, I have racked up unbelievable credit card debt. I think, at one point, I had something like $12,000 in credit debt. When S. and I got married, I had so much credit card debt, that I couldn't even USE any credit cards anymore, nor pay them. And that was the year I got my first "real" job - as a pre-school teacher making $11,000 a year.

I started babysitting during evenings and weekends to try and make ends meet. And we slowly tried to chip away at my credit card debt. S. has ALWAYS been responsible with money, and had good role models who were very frugal with their money. Not that my parents were spenders, my mom was very frugal, especially after the divorce. I somehow got some gene that makes me WANT stuff and when I see it and want it, I often buy it.

Anyway, S. had investments and savings until he was with me. After my credit cards were maxed out, we ended up maxing out two of his cards. And that's when we started paying cash for everything we could. We cashed in some of the investments and savings to try and pay off the credit cards, but frankly, some of them were just "written off" because I was never going to be able to pay them. Some of the credit card companies settle with me for lesser amounts just so they could get their money.

Because of S.'s investments and savings, we were able to put a nice downpayment on our house, too - which we borrowed against to re-side, re-roof, and put in new windows. And now we've got a big honking home equity loan to add to our monthly bills.

When S.'s grandma died, she had all sorts of trust funds set up for her 2 children and 6 grandchildren. I hate to say it, but thank goshness for that money! You would never know by how frugally she lived that she was worth so much money, and I envy that. Maybe it comes from growing up during the Depression that her generation lived more economically.

Now, until he turns 35, S. gets 10K a year on his birthday, and who knows how we would survive without that bonus! It's really sad, because, like you and J., we both are educated, have decent-paying jobs, and don't live in a mansion or anything.

When S. turns 35, he gets full access to his trust fund. And, when his mom dies (which hopefully won't be for a long time), he will also have access to her living trust. But, how sad that we have to rely on that!

Ohio just voted to raise the minimum wage in the state, yet I still wonder how people trying to support a family on that money can ever make ends meet?

Anonymous said...

I feel you sister! I feel like there is no excuse for the credit card debt we have - both B and I make a good salary but we live in the bay area, where our mortgage payment alone is $3k/month. I also feel a tremendous amount of pressure to seem more well off than I do since everyone I know pretty much seems to have it all.

One of the things I am looking forward to a bit when we sell our house is that for a few glorious months, we will be 100% debt free. But we might not get new jobs for a while so I have to make what we have last.

I have to say, at first I had problems with the low cost food stores, but now I love them! Sure people stare at me when I am in there but 90% of the stuff is the same at more popular grocery stores but sometimes half the price. I have to bag my own stuff but who cares?

Now that we are in the process of getting 70% of what is in the houe out to get the house ready to show to buyers, it is really apparent that we buy way too much stuff. I plan to really watch this in our new life.

Cass said...

Yes, Depressionista, if you would have had had my parents you would seem like you are doing pretty well now. I think right now my parents have probably somewhere around $20,000 or even more in credit card debt alone. Many a Christmas I remember hearing my mother yell at my father and hearing them referring to how they had to put our Christmas presents on a credit card. Luckily, I met someone who is pretty responsible--financially, especially. He sometimes helps me stay on track when I start to get some wild hair about spending money.

I guess more so recently than ever, I think I am starting see how buying stuff is not really fufilling my soul...so I don't do it as nearly as often as before and if I do I put a great deal of thought into it....the occasional Shiatsu Massager is good...I have to say right after I got out of college I racked some good credit card debt, about 2-3 grand but I paid it off. Now I think I owe about $100. Of course, I owe my dentist almost three grand--but that is a whole nother issue.

Val said...

[very late to the party]
but I got a good laugh out of your post nevertheless...
It's not a joke -- my poor grandmother died at just the RIGHT time (more or less, about 6 mos after 1st husband left, cleaning out all our joint bank accounts) -- she left me just enough $$$ to clear off the $7K of CC debt he saddled me w/, also able to pay off the farm so I could hang onto it for all I was worth!