Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Considerate Smoker's Manifesto Part II

"Guess what I did tonight," LilCherie asked while we were on the phone tonight. "I bought a carton of cigarettes." In the past, LilCherie has had a personal objection to buying a carton of cigarettes because it is an admission of smokitude that she just didn't want to make.

However, our governor signed a cigarette tax hike today that raises the cost of a pack of cigarettes by $1. The total tax on a pack of cigarettes in my state is now $1.36. How rude.

Thus, the Great Cigarette Run of 2007 was set in motion. After our call I ran out and got a couple cartons myself.

This pisses me off for more reasons than just having to spend more on my bad habit. First, there's all kinds of rhetoric being spewed about how the tax will make Iowa a healthier state, people will quit smoking, it will be good for you, Big Brother says. But it isn't about Big Brother's concern at all. If that were the case, cigarettes would be illegal. What it's really about is making money. Cigarette taxes are just an endless source of revenue for the government, and one that nobody can argue about. Well, people who smoke can argue...but everybody hates us anyway so it's not real effective.

According to this article, Governor Culver said: "With the signing of this bill, we are sending a bold message throughout the state and around the nation that Iowa takes the health care of its people, especially its kids, seriously." The article said Culver pledged the money, which was projected to raise $138 million in fiscal 2008,to expand health care coverage for children.

The idea that health care coverage for children in our state depends on people continuing to smoke rather disgusts me. Shouldn't we be able to take care of our children (and the rest of us, for that matter) with all the other taxes we pay? Isn't it a little slimy to basically say, through a tax hike like this, that we need people to keep smoking in order to give children in our state adequate health care?

Another article said "Culver said the higher taxes will help thousands of Iowans kick the increasingly expensive habit while raising money to expand health care programs." So if the taxes go up, causing thousands of people quit buying cigarettes, aren't we just going to be breaking even here? What if the tax is so successful that everyone just quits tomorrow? What about those poor kids without health care?

Pro-tax individuals would say that the reduction in smoking-related illnesses and medical costs would make up for the shortfall. I don't buy it. A lot of people who smoke pay taxes and pay their own health insurance premiums. Yes, maybe health insurance premiums go up because of people who smoke. They also go up because Cletus can't lay off the cheeseburgers, Rhonda insists on roasting herself in a tanning bed, Harold won't control his diabetes and Tiffany won't wear her seat belt. If people are so concerned about smoking-related medical costs, why not funnel the $138 million into adequate and effective smoking cessation programs? Why not? Because that would be helping those dirty, stinky, scum-of-the-earth smokers!

People in our state who smoke shouldn't have to shoulder the burden of caring for our state's children. Shouldn't this be a responsibility of every citizen? Wouldn't it be more fair to add a smaller tax onto everyone's income tax, or maybe increase the sales tax for everything just a little bit?

Now I'm going to really get myself into hot water, but the very fact that I have to pay for all the uninsured children in this state pisses me off. Don't get me wrong. I would be the first in line to support nationalized health care--for everyone. But in our current system, there are people like my husband's older sister, who hasn't worked a steady job her entire life, despite any real disability other than extreme selfishness. She's popped out her two kids, who, due to neglect and the probable prenatal drug use they were exposed to, will need "services" for the rest of their lives until they finally end up in jail or in "the system" like she is. I don't think my money--from my cigarettes, my steady job, or the goods and services I am able to pay for because of my steady job--should have to support that. It's a difficult issue because of course I don't want to see a sick kid go without medical care; but it's also hard to pay for it when I know there are people out there like my husband's sister. I'd be more supportive if the money went to increase social services to help those who really want to get off state aid do it. I'd rather have my cigarette money go toward building homes--yes, orphanages--so that those children who are being neglected and being cycled through the wheels of the welfare system could at least have a stable life and a chance to grow up away from the constant personification of irresponsibility.

In the end, there's nothing I can do about it. I won't quit smoking, I know that about myself. The revenue from the tax hike probably won't even go to help take care of children. It will probably go to such critically important projects like this one.

I guess it doesn't even matter all that much. We're all going to die from global warming anyway. Unless someone comes up with a way to reverse it and the government actually starts giving enough of a shit to do something about it...and as long as people keep smoking long enough to fund it.

4 comments:

Tingle said...

Wow - the cigarette taxes went up by a whole dollar? Our state cig taxes seem to go up and up all the time, but I don't think they've ever jumped by that much! That sounds excessive!

I agree with you - it seems rather pathetic that they are relying on cigarette taxes for health care for children. Heaven forbid some of the money funding Homeland Security offices be used for the health of children! And at the same time, they are really talking out of both sides of their mouths. Which is it?
a) we raised the taxes because we want people to stop smoking, which in turn would mean less money for children's health
OR
b) we raised taxes because we want money for children's health, so SMOKE ON! We don't care about YOUR health.

I hear ya on the tax thing. While I believe in services that assist people in need, I also think there need to be limits and accountability so that people don't take advantage. We shouldn't be enablers, but that's the American way, isn't it?

I'm sure they chose the "health care for childnre" thing because who can argue with that? "Oh, health care for children? OF COURSE I support that?" Who in their right mind would say, "Forget that, I hate kids!" There would be so many arguments over anything else - smoking cessation programs: sure, it makes complete and logical sense, but people hate smokers and wouldn't want to help them (even if it is THE SMOKERS' OWN MONEY!). Even orphanage building would meet heavy opposition, I think, since orphanages are such scary, heartless, infested, and desperate places (or at least they were in the 1800s, so that's what I'm going by).

So, am I getting this right that taxes went from .36 to 1.36? That's really crazy! How much is a pack now?

You know I'm not a smoking fan, but I hear ya on this one. A lot of innocent people die because of drunk drivers - shouldn't they put a high tax on alcohol to discourage people from drinking, too?

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I don't know where I stand on this. I sort of agree with taxing things like alcohol and tobacco but then again, why not up the taxes at Starbucks too for all the caffeine junkies??

I agree that money should be spent more for healthcare for children in general, and not just from the smokers.

But that said, I am really out of the loop. I never smoked and could not ever give an accurate price on a pack of cigarettes ($2.99? 10.99? something with a .99?)

I guess I am rambling because I am not sure what to say but feel compelled to comment because I haven't been a good commenter on my friend's blogs of late. ;-)

So, keep smoking and down with taxes! ;-)

Roxanne said...

I can't remember if you said you were on medication or not. (Like half the people I know are on antidepressants, so I forget.) But if you do want to give quitting a go, Wellbutrin helps a lot. It also makes you happier!

Cass said...

I am still in shock over this tax increase. I guess I was expecting more time to adapt to the situation. I didn't realize that if the govenor signed the bill that it would go into effect two days later!! Jesus. One of the frustrating things about it, like you said, is that it is a tax put on something that everyone wants to think is "evil"--smokers have become the new welfare mothers of the 2000's, along with the fat people. They can be targeted and they can't be protected.

I have to admit the thought of quitting has crossed my mind, briefly. The oppositional, and unhealthy, part of me doesn't want to quit because it would be like giving in....how fucked up does that sound.