Wednesday, March 21, 2007

What Do I Want To Be When I Grow Up?

I met with my therapist yesterday. (Warning: Praise of my therapist, to the point of being sickening, will probably occur in this post.) We had a "big" session. I could tell it was big by how uncomfortable I felt during most of it. I knew I was, however lightly, bumping up against some things that I manage not to touch very often; things I need to bump up against and push through in order to live a happier, more fulfilling life.

The session began with a discussion about my unhealthy habits, particularly how I eat and the fact that I don't exercise. I came to realize that the main reason I eat is for pleasure--the immediate, no-strings-attached, no-work-involved, pure pleasure of eating something that tastes good. One of the many things I love about my therapist is that she leads me through issues so that I come to realizations myself rather than just telling me her opinion; this is exactly what she did when she asked me what the "medicine" of food was "treating" in me. I realized it's the general dissatisfaction, malaise, depression, boredom, etc. that I feel about my life, especially my job. So that's how, after a half an hour of intense therapy, I came to actually understand phrases like "emotional eating" or "filling a void with food." I truly never "got it" until yesterday. I thought I did, but I didn't.

My therapist and I discussed how I wasn't living the life I was, in her terms, "put here to live." She told me how I was here in this world to do something, and that my heart would tell me if I would listen to it. I found it hard to accept that I could actually be worthy of a "calling" (and am still working that idea around in my head)--but she explained to me that everyone has it, it's just whether or not they can listen for it. She said, "Imagine the rainbow without the color blue. It would be a completely different thing. That's the world without you."

She encouraged me to completely and fully fantasize about my "dream" life. What I would be doing, where I'd be doing it, how it would feel...imagine myself as if I were actually living it. Then, the hard part--start taking steps toward it, even little baby ones. One of the things we talked about was my fantasy of living on the beach, writing personal essays for a living, walking along the shore contemplating the big mysteries in life. "There are people who live that life," she said. "What's the difference between them and me?" I asked rather pathetically. "They're doing it," she said.

She noted that she felt that along with my fear of failure and anxiety about change lurked a darker force that she labeled "an ugly little troll that lurks in the backround and says 'why bother?'" I immediately recognized the troll and told her I instinctively felt that I didn't even want to talk to the troll (yes, we laugh at this stuff in therapy too, but still honor it) and she agreed that we shouldn't give him any energy. Instead she said, "just kick it away." Then she taught me a cool Sufi thing where you pretend to spit over your left shoulder, and it symbolizes getting rid of bad energy and the like.

So my homework this week is to fantasize. I feel naturally drawn to two areas: my writing, of course, which is what's fed my soul for as long as I've known how to do it; and my experience with Hope and my desire to help others who have gone or are going through similar experiences. I want to keep an open mind that these aren't the only two areas of myself that I can explore in my fantasizing, though. In many ways, I feel that these two aspects of my life/personality/experience do define me, but in other ways, they restrict me. I know there is more to who I am and I want to explore that too. And yet, the fact that those two things immediately draw me in must mean something, right? I don't know. I'm still working it out.

I do know that this is what I need to do to break through my general unhappiness and disappointment in life. I need to find a path in life that excites me, that feeds my soul, that provides a fulfillment that tastes better than Oreos or pizza rolls. If I don't, then the best I can expect for the rest of my life is more of the same.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

This post really resonated with me. The eating for comfort, wanting to write and not doing it, feeling like you're not living your "real" life--I am right there with you. I am working through a lot of the same issues in therapy and man, it's hard work.

And I know I've said it before, but I love your therapist! Mine is great but she's an analyst and has a totally different style.

Aurelia said...

This is a very tough thing, something I've been working on for awhile. Not so much about food, but about my purpose in life and the general direction I'm going, or rather not going. Your therapist sounds good.

I hope you find a dream and follow it. I know you have a calling! A really great one!

Cate said...

Good work! I can relate to what you have posted...even the eating part. Also the "not fulfilling your life's purpose" part too. Let me know when you find your answers..maybe your conclusions will help me too.

Anonymous said...

Does your therapist take long distance phone patients because I totally want her to be my therapist too! Seriously, I started pretending to spit over my left shoulder to get rid of my troll!

Unknown said...

Hi
It KellyG from UK. Thsnkyou so much for your comment on mine. It seems your posts resonates with me too. going through a massive crisis of confidence in my life. I wanted a family which i have, rather large at that! But I feel lost. Im a mother but what else. I write, have recently started to with the help of an editor whose offering his services for free out of the goodness of his heart. He thinks I deserve the chance. I also love photography and may choose that route too.
Unfortntately I have ended up on the happy pills. I use Vox for a bit more privacy so if you want to read the deeper stuff (there isnt much of it ) the join and I;ll add you.
Glad you like my writing. I'd say from reading 1 ost of yours that you have a talent.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Roxanne said...

I relate to so many of your posts! Definitely this one.

In the past few weeks since I've taken more control over my eating and exercise habits, I am feeling a lot better about myself. I'm not saying that so you should do it too--just that it's weird how much of a difference it's made in my attitude--how so much of my identity and self worth is tied up in food and appearance issues.

Sometimes I wonder if the things I think I want would really make me happy. Like sometimes I fantasize that I could have been a marine biologist and I'd swim with dolphins! LOL. But I think it's likely I'd find things to hate about that life too.

Cass said...

Wow...I am, again, impressed with the work that you are doing in therapy. You have dug through the layers and gotten to the food issue. I sooooo can relate to that. Emotional eating. We need to talk more about this in person. Filling the void with food. So easy to do...and I would be happy to tackle this issue along side of you!

Tingle said...

I am SO impressed with your therapist! She has truly been your guide to places you've not "bumped up against" much in the past. Wow! That rainbow analogy is powerful! And I agree - we all have a calling. I've wondered about mine and now have come to understand that sometimes, our calling doesn't necessarily mean we're going to be a Gandhi or a Martin Luther King Jr. or even a doctor or pastor or something noble like that. Sometimes, our calling seems simple to us, but means the world to someone else. Sometimes, our calling is being there for someone when they need a friend, making someone laugh when they're feeling down, lending a sympathetic ear, kissing a boo-boo, saying "I love you." Those things seem so simple to us - but make a huge different to someone else. I've started to try and see those things in my life as times when I am fulfilling my calling.

Your post is very powerful - I can already feel you moving toward your dream life! Visualizing it is such an important first step. I like the idea about the little "troll" and I hope you will continue to kick it out of your way since it is a self-sabotaging troll who doesn't want you to be happy.

You are amazing. I knew you had these realizations in you, you just had to find them yourself to make them meaningful. I look forward to talking more about this.