Thursday, March 01, 2007

Laugh and the World Laughs With You

The other night, I read some of my wittier, in my opinion anyway, posts from this blog. He listened half-heartedly and when he looked like he was about to fall asleep I stopped and then we fought for awhile about how I wasn't being "understanding" enough about his depression. Anyway, he made the comment that "all your blog is is bitching about how shitty your life is."

I've kind of been thinking about that lately and while I don't totally buy it, I do believe I need to sprinkle in some more lighthearted or funny posts here and there. In an effort to make this blog more enjoyable and maybe even improve my own mood, I am committing to attempting to include a funny, lighthearted, cute or otherwise warm and fuzzy anecdote with every post. Unless, of course, the post itself is funny, lighthearted, cute or otherwise warm and fuzzy, in which case that would be redundant. Or whatever. You know what I mean.

As part of my job, I encounter a lot of names. Not as many as a telemarketer or a salesmen, but a goodly amount. A few years back, I decided to start keeping a list of real names that were really funny. My husband got on board awhile ago because he also encounters a lot of names in his line of work.

My criteria for the list is simple. Is it someone’s real name, and is it funny? If so, it’s on. Even just a little chuckle counts. I’d really like to post it here but I’m afraid someone might Google themselves and find me and boy, that would be great, huh? Plus, someday I might publish a bathroom reader of funny names and I don’t want to give them all away here, right?

But I will tell you the one my husband sent to me today. I feel okay putting this one up because it’s the first two initials, coupled with the last name. I can put it out there without feeling like I’m compromising someone’s identity.

B.J. Belcher.

J.’s comment on this name was “ick.”

Just so you don’t think I’m a total bitch, I did have a really difficult, embarrassing last name when I was growing up, so I have enough karma built up that I can make fun of people’s names with impunity.

3 comments:

Aurelia said...

That is a funny name...hey you could put a few funny names in your blog, but just misspell them slightly to hide them from googlers.

And I promise you I will still buy your book anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

You know, I personally think my blog is all about telling everyone how shitty my life is! You can send J my way. ;-)

I'd buy your book too, and I want an autograph!

Tingle said...

I think your blog is entertaining! Don't listen to J!

Ever since you told me about your list, I keep my eyes open for a new one.

My favorite is still from a 1960s article about a junior high school teacher - Dick Hole. Totally true.