Thursday, February 23, 2006

I think it's all the couch's fault

So last night I came home tired and grumpy, but soldiered on through the dinner/play with Bubba/bedtime routine. Bubba fell asleep while I was rocking him in the living room, and it was lovely. First I could hear his breathing begin to change, then I could feel his body relax into mine. That was one of the things I completely loved when Bubba was a little tiny baby--that moment when he would turn the corner between dozing and sleep, when I could feel his body become heavier in my arms. Back to last night, he then started his little twitchy things he does with his hands and feet while he's sleeping, and we sat together for awhile just enjoying it before putting him down. It was nice.

After that J. and I went out to the porch for a smoke and to discuss what Therapist had said, for now, just about the sleeping and eating together issues. J. was receptive. He said the main reasons he sleeps on the couch are because he either falls asleep watching TV and is so comfortable that he can't make himself get up, and sometimes it's because he's afraid that someone's going to break into the house and he feels like he's guarding the front and I'm guarding the back. I asked him if he realized that was a little bit paranoid, and he said he did. I explained that these basic patterns are things that are going to affect Bubba as he grows up and it's a good place to start, and he agreed.

So, about 20 pizza rolls and a Dove bar later, I settled in with J. to watch one of our Netflix movies, "The 40-Year-Old-Virgin." It was funny and I really enjoyed it. I think J. enjoyed what he saw of it, but he did doze off a couple times. It was kind of a weird feeling watching it with J. Since we haven't had sex in so long, it was a little uncomfortable watching a movie centered around trying to get somebody laid. It was almost like watching something like that with my parents.

Anyway, the movie ended, we went out to have a smoke together, and J. announced he was going to bed. And then, he went into the bedroom and went to bed. He slept until 7 a.m.

And, I know you're wondering, what did I do? I hate to admit it, but I started reading a book (Please Stop Laughing at Me by Jodee Blanco, about her experiences being bullied throughout her school years--pretty compelling) and....I fell asleep on the couch and stayed there all night! Nice.

As for Operation Deep Swallow, I haven't officially started it yet. I'm gearing up and processing. Expect the kick-off to be in the next couple of days.

Tonight, the women's figure skating long-program will keep me glued to the couch, eating my pizza product of choice and/or sugary cereal while I watch tiny fairy-women glide around the ice in Torino. I'm really rooting for Emily Hughes after she got screwed by the Kwan debacle, but realistically I think Sasha Cohen will go away with the gold. I like Irina Slutskaya's personality, but you know, she's had her day in the sun. I'd like someone new to get a chance to shine. Whatever. Let the best skater win!

2 comments:

Tingle said...

I'm really proud of you for talking to J about what Therapist said and for offering up suggestions. I think that's an awesome step.

And I applaud you for having dinner together and watching a movie together.

I don't think S and I did anything together last night, except be in the same room together.

How did J feel about you sleeping on the couch? Maybe you need to get a couch that is way less comfortable.

Depressionista said...

Actually, Jason was very cool about me falling asleep on the couch--he probably feels he owes me a few passes since it's molded to his body at this point. It is just a really comfy couch. Maybe I'll post about the couch sometime soon!

Thanks for the encouragement, Tingle!