Friday, February 23, 2007

90 percent chance that I'll need to get sloshed this weekend

How did Friday get here so fast without me posting at all? I think it had something to do with...
Monday: Bubba returns home with the sniffles.
Tuesday: Bubba has bad cough, stuffy nose, mild fever...a really nasty cold. I stay home with him all day and enjoy lots of cuddles, along with the occasional spray of spit and mucous as he sneezes on me. About three hours into the day, I hear some mild whimpering and come out of the kitchen to see Bubba sticking his tongue out at me. "Tongue hurts!" he says. "Owie....kiss!" Throwing caution to the wind in order to comfort my son, I kiss his tongue, then move swiftly out of his line of vision to rigorously wipe my mouth. Tuesday night I meet my old work spouse for cocktails. I have two of my new favorite--the chocolate martini--then bend Tingle's ear while I sober up enough to drive home. I fall into bed shortly thereafter.
Wednesday: Bubba still really sick. J. stays home with him. I start feeling not-so-great that afternoon. We take Bubba to the doctor at 6:30 p.m. and get the official diagnosis, which is: Bad Cold. At 9 p.m. I fall asleep next to Bubba. I wake up the next morning sick and still in my work clothes!
Thursday: Bubba's getting better; I'm getting worse. Wait for my mom to come out to watch Bubba on his last sick day at home, then get a ride to work from LilCherie, who is in town to get a massage. That was so nice! Later she comes and takes me to lunch, which was also lovely. All in all, other than the cold, not a bad day. I rallied yesterday evening and J. and I watched "Little Miss Sunshine" which was AWESOME. I felt bad that the title put me off of it for so long.
Today: Woke up feeling like a small rodent had crawled into my mouth and died during the night. Lots of congestion. Extreme fatigue. Managed to get myself to work and here I am...being really productive as you can see.

So that's my week. It looks like the gods of illness and weather are converging to ruin any chances of a Girls' Night this weekend, as LilCherie's little guy is now down with a fever and runny nose, etc., and we're under a winter storm watch from now until Sunday afternoon, with phrases like "ice pellets" and "90 percent chance of precipitation" and "ice accumulation of up to a quarter of an inch" in the forecast. Looks like it will be a weekend full of runny noses and temper tantrums...and that's not even counting Bubba.

I better get to the store this evening before the big storm and stock up. Hopefully there won't be too much of a run on cream, chocolate syrup, and creme de cacao.

3 comments:

Aurelia said...

Oh geez, everybody is sick these days in blogland...drink up and you'll feel better soon.

Cass said...

what a crazy ass week. Glad that we somewhat survived the whole thing! Hopefully, we can atleast be together via phone. Thanks, Thomas Edison!

Tingle said...

I have some serious catching up to do on your blog and I apologize. Even though I heard about all these things, seeing it here and realizing they were all in just one week (and then knowing how your weekend went) gives me a new appreciation for you getting through it on top of feeling sick yourself! You are amazing!