Monday, February 19, 2007

This is why moms need breaks

Depressionista's Helpful Hint of the Day: When blogging in the middle of your frigid living room, keep a hot rock nearby to warm your typing fingers. It works like a charm!

Status Report: Possible PMS as indicated by libido level (high), tolerance level (low), zit category (nasty, oil-filled hideous bumps, or "under-the-skinners" as LilCherie and I call them) and distribution (big nasty on the chin and two more along jawline). It would be a little soon, since I just had a period a month ago, but every once in awhile my body throws me for a loop and does something the way it's supposed to.

Bubba spent yesterday to today at my sister's house, and is spending tonight at my Mom and Dad's (they all live in my old hometown). I had grand plans to organize my clutter, be creative and finish the next chapter of Sex and the Silos, change all the sheets, make a little scrapbook for Bubba, maybe even have sex...and I accomplished none of it. Instead I got together with some friends, have been reveling in the quiet, puttering around, and pretty much doing whatever I want, including pulling all-nighters and sleeping all day. For some reason I love the middle of the night, so whenever I am left to my own devices, my sleep schedule flip-flops to the exact opposite of what is necessary to be a productive member of society. I've decided to not spend the time worrying about the next day and instead enjoy it until I get tired and deal with the fallout later. Luckily, except for going in for a one-hour meeting in the afternoon, I am taking tomorrow off since J. has it off for President's Day. Bubba will return somewhere around 3 p.m.

I miss the little bugger. I know, I know...I complain about him all the time here and then when he's away for a day I talk about how much I miss him. What can I say, I'm never happy! I think it's just easier to remember what you like about your child when he or she isn't screaming "THOMMMMMASSSS MOOOOOOVIEEEE" in your ear.

I know I don't mention it here nearly enough, and I don't remember it nearly enough in real life either, but we are so incredibly lucky to have our Bubba. When I have the peace to stand back and look at it, I realize how much I am learning by being his mother, and how much more I need to learn. It's odd to think of Bubba as my teacher, but he most definitely is. And the toughest one I've ever had. It's even harder than algebra II.

While he is often a holy terror at home, I take solace in the fact that he is most definitely charming, which I think will get him out of a lot if he keeps learning how to work it. Almost every report we get from daycare says "Bubba had a wonderful day!" or "Bubba was in a great mood!" Everyone who sits for him is amazed at how "easy" he is. I can already tell that the study of people is going to be a lifelong hobby for my son, who takes every opportunity to interact with others, adult or child, family and friends or strangers. When we started riding the bus when he was just about two, he became the personal greeting section of the bus, waving and saying "Hi!" cheerily to every person who came down the aisle. At the park or--much to my inner germaphobe's chagrin, at the doctor's office--he goes right up to whatever little kid happens to be there, sticks his hand out in a kind of reaching wave, and throws them the cheery "Hi." If he's rested and not sick, he will even share his toys without prompting.

Because I can never enjoy anything without worrying about it, I worry sometimes that he is too outgoing and will someday be a) abducted, b) hurt by rejection (well, who isn't, I guess) or c) is exhibiting the signs of some kind of social interaction disorder. But after I give each fear its obligatory 10 seconds of anxiety, I can step back and see how adorable this side of his personality is. I think the thing that really tugs at my heart is that you can tell that he just assumes that everyone is his friend, and god, that's sweet!

He also is such a demonstrative little guy. He will play a game with me where I give him a kiss and then I say his favorite phrase, "one more time?" and he kisses me again and I keep saying it and pretty soon we're just smooch-smooch-smooching as fast as we can. Other times he will just cuddle up with me and as we nuzzle each other he will say "Awwwww," in his cutest voice and tilt his head over to the side and smile. He'll also give me a hug just about every time I ask...but only as long as I say the magic word "please." He's a stickler.

He must have all ouchies kissed which amuses the hell out me, especially when they're on his butt. He finds certain parts of his favorite movies hilarious, and will bellylaugh at Shrek and the freaky scarecrow on Bob the Builder. The other day, J. farted in the bedroom and Bubba said, "Daddy poop!" "Did Daddy poop his pants?" I asked. "Yeah," Bubba said with feeling. "Daddy poop...potty!" Clearly, although he hasn't mastered it for himself yet, Bubba is realizing that poop goes in the bathroom.

Now if I can just teach J. :-)

Thank god I have family members who love my child so much and want to spend time with him, and family that he wants to spend time with (he was so excited to go yesterday that he barely could stop long enough to kiss me goodbye). It's been wonderful having some time alone and I'm still enjoying it, but I am looking forward to getting a hug and a kiss tomorrow from my Bubba.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Being a productive member of society is over rated, really. And, what is up with Thomas, every kid I know loves that little train guy. Like baby crack.

Aurelia said...

I love vegging once in awhile...recharges my brain. And yes, we do like them more after being away for a day, don't we?

Cass said...

Enjoy that time...its so rare these days. Also, its good to see you appreciating what you have. That was a very different entry than the ones before...I am have been learning the value of doing absolutely nothing at times. As difficult as it is for me to do! Plus when you get that down time, it makes you take the time to appreciate everything that you do have--a great husband, son, friends, etc.

I have to say it is wonderful to see you so happy these days. I feel like things are all comin together for you! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Aw, you know I think LM and Bubba would get along famously - they sound so much alike!

I know what you mean though - sometimes when I am with LM I just want him to shut up - enough with the "mamamamamamamamama" and how he can't be in a room without me and how he can't watch TV unless he is on my lap so I have to sit through the same episode of sesame street a bazillion times too.

But then, when he is not with me, I miss him so much it hurts.

Tingle said...

Oh, hot rocks! I miss those! I need to do that!

I'm glad you took some time to veg out and sleep and do whatever you felt. We all need that time - like mini sabbaticals - to renew our spirits. Don't look at it as doing nothing or being unproductive - you are doing something, you are REVIVING. Sometimes that takes peace and quiet of the body and mind.

Everyone who knows you knows that you love Bubba. Being a parent isn't easy, you know that cheesey quote, "Parenting: the toughest job you'll ever love."

Bubba is easy, and you are right, even little guys know how to work it and will change their behavior to suit what works for them in whatever situation they are in.

I wish everyone could hear Bubba's "Hi!" It is one of the most smile-inducing sounds I've ever known, just thinking about it in my head makes me smile!

Like Nicole, I'm also amazed by the deep interest kids have with Thomas the Tank Engine. I've never really understood that, I've watched hours and hours of it (just yesterday, in fact, when I was forced to view the same 7-minute vignette over and over and over), and, while it's cute, I just don't get the attraction. The stories are a bit strange, the freight cars are sometimes creepy, the engines are sometimes mean, and the animation is little more than the trains rolling their eyeballs and then moving on the tracks. Maybe little kids are just content watching trains all day, no matter what the trains are doing.