Monday, February 05, 2007

Dear Abby: You Suck

Today I checked in on Aurelia's blog and found mention of an infuriating Dear Abby question and response today. I clicked over and ended up sending my own letter to Abby. I know Abby is a moron, but unfortunately a lot of other morons listen to her advice, so I felt compelled. I'm including it all here.

The offending letter and response:

DESK PHOTO OF STILLBORN BABY CREATES AWKWARD OFFICE ISSUE

DEAR ABBY: I am writing on behalf of my friends at work. We have a co-worker, "Madge," who had a stillborn baby last year. It was tragic. Our problem is, she keeps a photo of the deceased infant with its little eyes sewn shut on her desk in plain view, so that if we must interact with her (we have an open cubicle layout) we have to see it.

Is this appropriate? Ninety percent of the employees here are women. Most are appalled. Others say, "Well, it's all she has."

Madge is expecting again, and we are rooting for her and the baby. However, in addition to all this, she is mean and gossipy. Madge tells everyone what to do and how to do it -- which is not in her job description. I hope that when the baby arrives she will soften and not be so bitter. But, Abby, how on earth do we blow off that photo? -- APPALLED IN THE MIDWEST

DEAR APPALLED: While a person's desktop is usually private territory, I agree that the photograph you describe is inappropriate in an office environment. Because Madge feels the need to keep the picture of her stillborn baby close, it should be kept in her purse with other family photos, or in her desk drawer.

How very sad that poor woman must be. The person who should deal with this delicate problem is the boss or the supervisor.


And my response:
Dear Abby:
I was saddened by your response to "Appalled in the Midwest," whose coworker keeps a photo of her stillborn child on her desk. You advised that the photo is "inappropriate in an office environment" and that the coworker should keep the photo hidden.

I had a daughter who was born at 21 weeks gestation and lived for only nine minutes. I keep her photo on my desk at work alongside the photo of my subsequent, and thankfully healthy, son.

To "Appalled in the Midwest" and the other 90 percent of her coworkers who are "appalled," I say suck it up. Any awkwardness or distress they feel when looking at this photo pales in comparison to the devastating pain this woman has experienced and is still experiencing.

Perhaps rather than being concerned about how to "blow off that photo," Madge's coworker should direct her energies to understanding what it must take for Madge to just get up in the morning, let alone come to work with such insensitive coworkers.

One of the most distressing things about losing a child in pregnancy or infancy is the thought that people will forget that this child existed. Keeping photos or other reminders hidden adds to this distress and implies that there is something shameful about our dead children.

My daughter is not grotesque and is not shameful. If people aren't able to see the beauty of such innocent little lives when they look at our photos of them, then they are the ones who should be ashamed.

Furthermore, whether or not this woman is mean, gossipy or bitter is irrelevant. I sincerely hope the woman's current pregnancy is a success, but regardless of the outcome, some understanding, sensitivity and compassion from her coworkers would go a long way toward making Madge more agreeable at the office.

There are organizations that help educate the general public about the emotional effects of pregnancy and infant loss; one of the best is SHARE Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support, Inc. You can access information at their website, www.nationalshareoffice.com/ I suggest that "Appalled in the Midwest"— and you, Abby — start learning about how to really help those who have suffered the tragic loss of a child in pregnancy or shortly after.

9 comments:

Nicole said...

Go get'em!!! I am going to surf on over and give her a piece of my mind. While I have not suffered this terrible loss myself, I empathize with this woman and her need to have this photo where she spends the majority of her day. What the hell does being bossy have to do with that photo anyway? This is so sad and clearly everyone is ganging up on her. I wish I could send her a message saying that she should blow up the photo to poster size. There is nothing to be ashamed of. What if the baby was born alive, but had a distinct malformation that made these people so appalled. Would that be any different? oooh, I am pissed off now.

Aurelia said...

Thank you Depressionista. Big *BlogKiss* to you today.

Tingle said...

You said everything exactly right! Way to go - I'm so glad you said something. You are such an awesome and level-headed voice for all of us.

I cannot believe that Abby would say it was "inappropriate." Why, because it made her co-workers uncomfortable? What about the discomfort Madge feels when she sees photos of her co-workers' children on their desks? Should all photos of ALL children be banned so no one feels hurt? Of course the person who gets picked on is the person already suffering.

What kind of insensitive &*%$@ would write a letter like this? But then, all of us who have suffered this kind of loss have encountered it, haven't we? Sadly, yes.

I'm with Nicole, this totally pisses me off! It makes me want to have a picture of my son tattooed on my forehead!

People who are "uncomfortable" around someone who lost a pregnancy or child should consider what it must feel like to actually BE that person.

I have to believe not everyone in the world is this unsympathetic.

Tingle said...

PS: And sadly, I took photos of my son off of my blog after hurtful comments were made about it. I guess I did it to protect myself, but still...

Anonymous said...

I also saw this letter and read the Dear Abby response. What is Abby thinking? This woman had a child and she put the photo on her desk. She wants to see her child like everyone else likes to look at pictures of there own chhildren. Because this child is deceased is not a reason to display it, because this child is stillborn is not a reason to display it. Please let me know where this "midwest reader" is at, She and the co-workers need an education. AWWWWW It burns me to think that someone could be so mean!! Pioneer Girl

butterfly cocoon said...

This post reminded me about a woman who worked with my husband who lost her daughter. She had one of the trisomy's that's incompatible with life and died just after birth...anyway, she was a really wonderful person and she and I became good friends.
The things is that she was the only woman in that office and she had a post mortem picture of that baby girl, who also had birth anomalies due to her chromosomal issue, on her desk. And do you know that not only did it NOT bother any of the men who worked with her, they made she to take me by her desk and show me the picture of her daughter the first time I stopped by to see her.
That office full of men were just as proud of that baby, as they worked beside her during the pregnancy, knew of her prenatal diagnosis, etc.
I just don't see how the women who wrote to Dear Abby and Darn Abby herself can be see shitty about it.
It's when we as women embrace and support each other that we grow in strength and power.
Thanks for posting this! Hugs!!

butterfly cocoon said...

P.S. I just read all the typo's...please forgive....no sleep....too much caffeine...need pharmaceuticals

Kellie with an "ie" said...

What a beautiful and eloquent response to Dear Abby. I hope that it leads her to change her opinion, or at the very least makes her feel a moment of shame for her thoughtless response.

Cass said...

Very nice job. Sometimes the insensitivity that people have amazes me. You did a very well written response. It was compassionate but also not hateful towards the stupid woman who wrote the letter.

I, myself, have been out of blog practice this week. Rough, long PMS ridden week. Ill try harder next week.