Monday, February 04, 2008

Today's Musings

Today I learned that...
Two pieces of cheesy garlic bread are not enough.

I'm done fuckin' around with those generic, cheaper brands of frozen garlic bread. If it's not Pepperidge Farm Garlic Texas Toas then it's not worth it.

It's not a good idea to broil your second set of cheesy garlic bread Texas Toasts on "hi" without watching them or setting a timer.

While you're fucked up.

And your husband is just about there in terms of getting the 3-year-old asleep.

When the smoke alarm goes off.


Things I Feel Compelled to Share With You Tonight
The thought of LilCherie, in the Grumpy Pants I made her for her birthday, standing in the snowy parking lot of the hospital this morning after finding out that her surgeon was snowed in in another city and would not be able to perform her tonsillectomy, kicking her car in anger, really makes me laugh. Now that she's accepted it, I mean. I really felt bad for her at the time. But I still wish her husband could have secretly videotaped it for me.

I read the Lunchables® post over at A Little Pregnant and it really pissed me off. But I was too much of a chickenshit to post a dissenting view, because Julie is blog royalty and I didn't figure it was really worth it. Of course now that I'm putting this on my own blog it's "out there." Oh, jeez, what are we supposed to do? It's already out there! Call the cops! It's already out there! (Random movie quote -- do you know which one it's from?) But I was excited to see that Patty from Monday Changed Everything stuck up for herself. If you read her blog you'll see that she has a good excuse. I just feed my child crap because I'm lazy and depressed.

I'm half-afraid that I'm dying of cancer because I haven't felt like eating much lately, I'm really tired, and I have several unaccounted for bruises on my upper thighs (and one on my forearm). Of course, the appetite and fatigue could be attributed to the depression, even though I'm usually a "fat depressive" (I just made that term up. Impressive, huh?). And I guess the bruises could be from beating my fists against my legs in hopeless frustration, right?

I found out tonight that when trying to disinfect a light green throw rug after a dollop of your child's almost-diarrheal poo drops on it, a bleach-based cleanser should not be your first choice. There is now a five-inch circle of my throw rug that's the same shade as Greg Brady's hair in the episode where he buys the hair tonic from Oliver. Or, baby-ate-carrots-shit orange. I couldn't have just thrown it in the washer because you know, I was just too lazy and depressed.

I'm reading a great book right now called "Mommies Who Drink," by Brett Paesel. When reading books like this, I momentarily think to myself, "I could write this well! I could be this funny! Why am I not a published, successful author?" Then I remember, oh yeah. I'm too lazy and depressed.

I'm thinking of changing the name of my blog to "Lazy and Depressed." Do you think that would pull in the readers or what? Sadly, I would be all about a blog named that. I should do a blog search...maybe it's already out there?

Today's Aha! Moment

I think I've come to a realization about how men--or at least J.--think, and why it causes a problem in relationships. I think he is mentally incapable of moving past the first most-likely outcome of an action or comment. Here are a couple examples, including the correct "Mom thought" as well:

J.'s first thought: Bubba is thirsty.
Most likely outcome: I'll give him some milk, then he won't be thirsty anymore.
Mom thought: But Bubba has to drink four ounces of juice laced with laxative so that he won't have a hard poop because is his holding his poops in and we are trying to get him to go without the hysterical drama and causing Mommy to have to take one of her anxiety pills. So, I'll give him the laxa-juice now and then milk later.

J.'s first thought: I want to make Bubba laugh, so I'll put some Toobers and Zots® (I'm lovin' that symbol tonight, by the way) up my nose and pretend they are boogers.
Most likely outcome: Bubba will laugh. Job done!
Mom thought: Bubba will think it's great, then put them up his nose, and then put other things up his nose, and then we'll be in the emergency room at 3 a.m. while some poor staff physician fishes pus-covered gravel from our child's infected nose. So maybe we'd better not model putting stuff up our noses as appropriate behavior for our 3-year-old.

J.'s first thought: It's time for Bubba to go to bed, so I'm putting him to bed.
Most likely outcome: Bubba will go to bed.
Mom thought: It's time for Bubba to go to bed, so we better get him his allergy medicine because if he doesn't get it he will be stuffy and he already has a cough; fill and turn on the humidifier because of the aforementioned cough; see if he has to go potty one more time so that he doesn't wet the bed; and bring in a glass of water and the toothpaste so we can brush his teeth.

I think you get what I mean here.

And now I guess it's also perfectly clear why, when I was having a spiral last week and told J. I felt like I was turning into my mother--the ultimate killjoy-- J.'s. answer was a sobering, "Yep."

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Ooh! I know! When Harry Met Sally!

I am so with you on the man thinking. C is great but he just doesn't think things through with the kids the way I do.

A often eats cheese and crackers and fruit for a meal. They don't happen to be Lunchables, but what's the big deal? I try to give her other stuff but I'm not going to make a big battle out of it.

Cate said...

I agree with you about the lunchables post. I was going to write a really snarky comment but refrained. Why bother?
Angus has some of those same lunchables in our fridge right now. They really come in handy when we are running late for lunch and I need something quick.

charmedgirl said...

i never imagined that the "killjoy" part of mothering was just so...necessary. really, we deal with this shit ALL DAY, and god help anyone who inadvertently forces me to put in even an extra ounce of energy. we've got these elaborate plans and reasons and strategies...and YES, for good reason.

we can try, sometimes, to pretend we're the carefree fun mom, but god above, it really is pretend. i keep thinking, "when they're (a year older) it'll be easier to be carefree and fun," but it hasn't happened yet.

let's not even get into what we all feed our kids...

Tingle said...

There are just some things that you have to buy in the brand name. I always said that once I moved out on my own I would buy real Eggo waffles, and I haven't looked back since.

Poor LilCherie - although I had to laugh, too - because she's so cute and I just can't imagine her kicking her car in agony! It's like a Care Bear biting the head off a small furry animal.

I'm laughing out loud about the rug with the orange stain. That's good stuff, you need a photo so we have a visual to go with it.

S. and I actually came up with a name for my perpetual tired and depressed state. I wish I could remember it now, but it was something like, "Acute Laziness Disorder" or ALD. I don't think that was it, but it was something like that. Having those initials really makes it mean something. "Yeah, sorry I can't go to your piano recital, I have ALD."

You are right on with your man thinking, I'm convinced of it. Men don't think about safety or consequences, they just think about what's fun or feels good. They're so simple...

Aurelia said...

Funny thing is about the lunchables post that I kind of did agree about them being so godawful bad for kids, but the reality is that we can't be perfect little mommies all the time and as they get older, I worry less about it.

Once in a while is fine, it's everyday or for very very small kids that I get kind of yeesssh on them about.

Odd thing you mention about price. Here they cost $5-6 each and making lunch, even PBJ, or lunch meat on bread with a chocolate bar for snack is cheaper. They must be priced differently in the US?

I can imagine them being easier, but here, they are definitely more expensive.

Roxanne said...

Ha ha ha!!!! I buy those Lunchables Jr. things ALL the time! I but the peanut butter and raisin ones because my kid goes to a Jewish preschool and can only have dairy lunches. I thought they were okay...what's the dif between packing him a PB&J sandwich and getting those things? He's into dipping.

Oh man...but I already knew I was the 'bad mom.' That's okay. Bad moms have more fun. And we aren't uncomfortable from those big sticks....trailing off now....

Roxanne said...

Oh yeah. I buy Uncrustables too!

THE HORROR!!!!!!

neko and the crocodile said...

I'm not a fan of lunchables but frozen bagel pizzas are the little man's heaven. Not to mention the occasional trip to burger king or mikey d's. He also loves olives and fine cheeses with fruit too just like an adult. He's been eyeing my vino lately, but no freaking way is he getting into that... yet.

Variety is the spice of life.