Monday, March 20, 2006

Catching Up

We had a rough therapy session last week. J. told me he didn't want to have sex with me because he feels I don't respect him because of a number of really minor things that have happened--I think he used that as an excuse, but in any case, divorce was discussed, tears were shed....you know, the usual.

Then we kind of let it sink in for the rest of the week. We haven't talked much. Last night I wrote him a letter telling him that I do still love him, but I think the person he is right now is not the "real" him--that I think his real personality is being masked by depression. I wrote that if he really wanted to work on his depression, and really was committed to working on it by trying different medications if necessary and doing regular therapy, that I would basically wait for him, that I would try to help him however I could. On the other hand, I told him that if he really just doesn't love me anymore, he should let me know. It was a sympathetic letter, and I really meant what I wrote.

I woke up this morning and J. greeted me, nothing was said for a few moments and then he said, "Thanks for the letter." I said, "You're welcome." He said, "What made you write it?" I said, "It's just how I was feeling." He said, "Maybe I am depressed." That was the whole conversation. I was a little disappointed in his reaction, although I don't really know what I was expecting. Maybe I was hoping that he would open up his arms and hug me and say, "I know I'm depressed, I need help, I don't want to lose you" or something to that effect. Yep, in fact, that is what I was hoping for.

Oh well.

3 comments:

Cass said...

Wow, it sounds like you wrote a good letter. You have to keep in mind that if he is depressed, that he is not going to have a real "energetic" response. I think it was good to let him know that you care and that you are willing to be there for him. Depression sucks and I have to agree, he is not the same person that he use to be...every once in awhile, I can see a glimpse of the old J come out...hopefully, he will pull out of this funk!
Good job on writing the letter!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you are dealing with all of this. Depression is a very tricky animal. I never understood it until I got it (PPD) and now that I have experienced it, I never want to see it again. I am hoping that J pull through and that he is there for you and V. I hope you don't go through more hell for that to happen though. I am rooting for you!

Tingle said...

You never cease to amaze me - what a heartfelt letter you wrote. It sounds like you were honest without being harsh, and you were loving without being passive.

You know that I think J has depression - I like how you said you feel like the real J is being masked by depression. I believe that is true. But also give him the space to realize that, like you, difficult experiences have changed him, so he may never again be exactly like the J you used to know.

I'm glad he at least said something and acknowledged your feelings. That's a big something in my book. I think you are both willing to work on it, and you know I'm pulling for both of you!