Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Operation Deep Swallow: Update

Well, things have been tough around the Depressionista ranch this week. We are all sick with a cough-fever-extreme congestion type cold, a little more vicious than your average run of the mill cold. Therefore, my ODS actions haven't been as proactive as I'd like them to be. In the spirit of fairness, I'd like to report that I came home and slept yesterday and did nothing to support the household except clean up the kitchen. Still and all, I'd like to report the following:

*During the most intense phase of my illness, I didn't bitch at J. for not giving me the sympathy I needed.

*I did not hassle J. about how as soon as I started feeling bad, he also started "not feeling so well." This happens whenever I get sick, and usually it's some kind of psychological reaction to me being sick therefore absolving him of having to really go the extra mile and take over the household for awhile. However, this time he really was sick.

*I took Bubba to his leg appointment this morning with my mother (even though I was feeling horrible and it meant I had to miss a meeting at work) and did not throw a fit when J. wasn't at his office where he said he'd be, thus requiring us to drive across town again to pick up our car in another location.

*I took today off work and fell into a Benadryl coma this afternoon, awakening only at 5:30 p.m. when J. came home with Bubba. He burst in the door and started angrily barking, "I feel horrible! We're going to have to tag team things this evening because I really feel terrible!" When I said I also felt bad, he blew up at me, saying, "Fine!!! I'll just take care of everything!" I calmly told him I wasn't saying I wouldn't help, I was just trying to wake up and was letting him know I wasn't feeling well. He went to bed and I took over Bubba duties for the evening without complaint. When he awoke, he did apologize for being crabby. I brought him Benadryl, a drink of cranberry juice, and some tissues, and also offered to put a blanket on him, brink him more to drink, and make him something for supper. I also moved the cat so he could lay down more comfortably on the couch.

That about brings us up to today. As you can tell, fun times around here.

As far as Bubba goes, the orthopaedics people said they see nothing wrong with our little guy. They think he is just on the later end of doing things; however, they did recommend that we get an assessment by a developmental pediatrician just to make sure he doesn't have any delays that are of concern, since he's been at the later end of the spectrum for all his motor skills milestones. I'm feeling pretty confident that he's okay, but we've set up an appointment for March 28 to get that checked out and either put our minds to rest, or find out what we need to do to help him "catch up."

2 comments:

Tingle said...

Wow - I am SO impressed by your actions yesterday, I don't know what to say! You really are taking ODS seriously!

I hope J. can see how hard you are trying and how damn lucky he is to have you!

I hope you are feeling better today and maybe J. should take a page from you and send a little ODS action in your direction!

Cass said...

You go girl!
Even in the week from hell you managed to keep going on your mission of ODS.

Hopefully, it has to be better next week!