Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Letter I AM Going to Send

March 14, 2006

Ms. Director and CEO
University of We Know We Killed Your Kid But You Still Owe Us Money Hospitals and Clinics
Slaughterhouse Drive
Potato City, Ohidoa

Ms. Director and CEO

I am writing about a recent billing issue that I am trying to resolve with University of WKWKYKBYSOUM Hospitals and Clinics. In case you need to look it up, my account number is xxxxx, my name is Depressionista, my birth date is xx-xx-xxxx and I live on Patient Drive, Ohidoa.

In February 2006, I received a bill for $147.28, the majority of which (about $138) was from a D&C I had on June 23, 2003, after the mid-pregnancy loss of my daughter at your institution due to incompetent cervix.

During this traumatic event in my life, my care at University of WKWKYKBYSOUM Hospitals and Clinics was botched from beginning to end. To list just a few examples: nothing was done to stop my labor; I was misdiagnosed by a resident and almost sent home without a pelvic exam; no high-risk obstetrician saw me for four hours after I’d come to the hospital bleeding; the obstetrician told me my child was dead when really she had a heartbeat for nine minutes, during which time a nurse held the child instead of giving her to me; the nurse told me we’d had a boy and then, two weeks later, genetic tests revealed our child was a girl; and finally, placental tissue was left in my uterus, causing me to hemorrhage two weeks later, thus, the visit to University of WKWKYKBYSOUM Hospitals and Clinics on June 23, 2003 for an emergency D&C.

After I regained my health, I received bill after bill from University of WKWKYKBYSOUM Hospitals and Clinics for charges relating to the birth and death of my daughter and the D&C incident two weeks later. I even received a $900 bill for “nursery charges” even though my daughter spent all 9 minutes of her life being held by someone, and then went straight from my arms to the funeral home. This charge, after repeated calls and contact with patient representatives, was eventually written off.

On April 21, 2004 I personally came to the University of WKWKYKBYSOUM Hospitals and Clinics business office and told the clerk, “I would like to pay ALL of my medical bills from 2003 and this incident in my life, because I don’t ever want to get another bill for this again.” After writing out a check for $1,323.32 (see enclosure) I thought I was finished.

Until Friday, March 5, 2006, that is. After two automated calls to my home that resulted in dead air when I picked up the phone, I hit *69 on my phone to find out where the calls were coming from. It turns out it was University of WKWKYKBYSOUM Hospitals and Clinics billing services with a “courtesy reminder” of the $147.28 I have outstanding in my account. When asked what it was for, it turned out that, as I said before, all but $10.50 was from that D&C performed almost three years ago.


When I challenged this bill, the billing clerks took it under consideration and talked to a supervisor. When I called back during the week of March 6, I was told the charges had been adjusted so that my balance is now $0. I asked at that time that the billing office mail me a letter to confirm that I no longer owe anything from 2003, specifically the incidents on June 9, 2003 and June 23, 2003, or any visits relating to those dates of service.

On Saturday, March 11, I received another “past due” bill from University of WKWKYKBYSOUM Hospitals and Clinics for these exact charges.

On Monday, March 13, I received a voice mail from “Rochelle” in the business office telling me she was unable to provide me with such a letter. When I called back the number she gave me (the general 1-866 number, not a direct line) I got a clerk who could not tell me why this was impossible. I am now waiting for her to call me back to explain why I cannot get this letter.

I am sick and tired of being reminded by University of WKWKYKBYSOUM Hospitals and Clinics about this extremely painful time in my life. I am sick of being reminded of University of WKWKYKBYSOUM Hospitals and Clinics' incompetence in everything from patient care to billing. I am tired of receiving bills for things classified as “abortion services” for a daughter I deeply wanted and miss every day.

I do not want to spend any more of my energy or time trying to get this resolved. I have been told many times before that my account balance from this time in my life is $0, only to get another bill one year later, two years later, three years later. I want it in writing that I am done with 2003. Three years is enough time for the University of WKWKYKBYSOUM Hospitals and Clinics to figure out its charges. I feel that further charges or communication from University of WKWKYKBYSOUM Hospitals and Clinics about any treatment in 2003 will be harassment.

I am sending this letter certified mail to make sure someone receives it. Since I’m not sure who to send it to, because the billing office “couldn’t give me a name, only an address” for billing disputes, I am sending copies to anyone I can think of who might have interest or influence in this matter.

I would appreciate any and all responses to this letter that are appropriate, but mostly, I just want a letter that says I have paid all charges from 2003 and will not be billed for anything from that year ever again.

Sincerely,

Depressionista

Cc:
Mr. Director, Payment Processing Center
Mr. Senior Assistant Director, Business Office/Administration

5 comments:

Cass said...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....I cant believe that you got another message about this...how crazy is that. I think you really need to send this letter...as usual, I think you have done a fabulous job...your writing skills continually amaze me! YOU GO GIRL!! someone needs to take a stand on this stuff...the unfortunate part is that with any bureaucratic office, no one will probably take responsibility for the whole thing...I know, I work for the State!

Tingle said...

This is, as always, very eloquent, while at the same time, expresses your heartfelt emotions about the issue. I wouldn't change a single thing about your letter (especially the "Slaughterhouse Drive" part).

It utterly breaks my heart that you had to go through this. It's devastating to lose a child, but I can't imagine how you feel thinking maybe things might have been different if you would have had the proper care.

I think it's completely harassment that they would send you another bill like this and cause you more pain.

I hope you will get a real, genuine response.

Claudia said...

Good for you! I'm glad you're sending the letter. Perhaps you can send it to the head of patient relations as well. I don't know how responsive they may be, but it's worth a try. I used to work at a _____ Hospital and Clinics place and I remember the patient relations people would practically lick the buttholes of patients that complained, so perhaps that might help (in clearing things up, not getting your butthole licked, unless you like that sort of thing)? I guess it depends on how seriously they take complaints and all. Judging by the other departments' incompetency though, who knows if they would be up to par. Losing a child must be painful enough without having to go through this crap. Good Luck!

Sarah said...

This is my first time reading your blog and I'm so so so sad that you had to go through this... that it was so hard in 2003 and that some faceless office somewhere is tearing open your wounds time and again whenever they try to heal... I hope you kick everyone's ass.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had to write this letter but so glad you did. Assholes.